2003 sport trac right quarter glass needs to be replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport trac right quarter glass needs to be replaced

22william

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer sporttrac xlt
So my trucks right quarter glass was broken, i found one on ebay for $94 bucks, but before i pay for this, is this window interchangeable with any other vehicles so i can find a cheaper price at pull a part or something? or is it only with this sport trac, is it hard installing the quarter glass? someone said to do it the main window needs to be taken out as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the rear quarter glass is unique to the Sport Trac, because of the way it kicks up an the rear of the door frame. I'll go outside in a few minutes and check to make sure.

I had to replace my complete rear side window mechanism last year, and that required me to remove the window glass. Once the glass is removed the rubber window surround with the quarter glass can be pulled off the door. This also required me to unbolt/remove the window channels. To remove the window glass I had to drill out the rivets that hold it to the regulator mechanism. A lot of work, but not particularly difficult.

I was not replacing the quarter window, but at that point it looked like it would be easy enough to do.

I think the rear quarter glass is unique to the Sport Trac, because of the way it kicks up an the rear of the door frame. I'll go outside in a few minutes and check to make sure.

I had to replace my complete rear side window mechanism last year, and that required me to remove the window glass. Once the glass is removed the rubber window surround with the quarter glass can be pulled off the door. This also required me to unbolt/remove the window channels. To remove the window glass I had to drill out the rivets that hold it to the regulator mechanism. A lot of work, but not particularly difficult.

I was not replacing the quarter window, but at that point it looked like it would be easy enough to do.

Thanks, I was on the pull a part site. And it said (possibly) 04 explorers and some mountaineers could interchange. I just don't wanna take the risk. And if they do. I have to do all that at the pull apart to get the window out

Thanks, I was on the pull a part site. And it said (possibly) 04 explorers and some mountaineers could interchange. I just don't wanna take the risk. And if they do. I have to do all that at the pull apart to get the window out

I checked my '01 ST compared to my '01 Explorer 4 dr and the rear quarter windows are not the same. IDK about an '04 Explorer 4 dr, but I'm thinking that would not be interchangeable with the ST. Comparing photos on 2004 Explorer rear quarter windows on CL, shows they are not the same due to the way the ST's door frame kicks up at the rear.

I checked my '01 ST compared to my '01 Explorer 4 dr and the rear quarter windows are not the same. IDK about an '04 Explorer 4 dr, but I'm thinking that would not be interchangeable.
You're talking about the smaller one right? Right behind the passenger window. Shaped a little like a triangle?

You're talking about the smaller one right? Right behind the passenger window. Shaped a little like a triangle?

Yes. I just looked at '04 Explorers and ST's on CL and the small quarter windows are not the same.

Check on your local craigslist under general auto parts for sale. In my area there are always 5-6 Sport Tracs being parted out. A qtr window from any '01 through at least '04 ST should fit.

I just did this on my 04. The window is unique to the 01-05 sport trac. I was lucky enough to come across one for $50 shipped from some ebay JY in texas. Most guys wanted a hundo for it as they are supposedly kind of rare. I had the door panel off as I had to replace the other window glass as well, and straighten out the track. I removed the track/gasket that holds the quarter window. Theres one bolt under the door panel that holds it place. I installed the window in the track and then reinstalled the whole assembly. It was fairly straight forward. Heres a link to the completed auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112266024058?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

He might have another one. He was really easy to talk to. He shipped me a total of 3 pieces of glass without breakage.

Quick question. Is the quarter glass bolted in or glued in?

Quick question. Is the quarter glass bolted in or glued in?

I don't believe it's glued. I know it's not bolted. As far as I know the rubber is just stretched over it and the door frame and window channel hold it in place. I didn't remove the glass from mine, but it came out with the rubber part and the rear channel.

Yes, not glued. The only part bolted is the rear bottom of the window channel, to the door.

Back