2003 Transmission intermittent third gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Transmission intermittent third gear

HISSIN50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 MM
Hello,

I've got a 2003 Mounty, 4.0, two-wheel drive, 190K miles, regular filter and fluid exchanges (last one 30K ago, old fluid was pink). I've read all the pertinent threads I can find but I'm still a little lost.

For the most part, I lost 3rd gear. I do the trick of taching it up a bit in second and letting off and letting it fall through 3rd gear and then feather the gas to engage 4th. The strange thing is that when the trans is cold, it shifts normally (even third gear). The hotter the trans gets, the worse the issue gets. If I don't do the proper symantics and I do engage 3rd and it flashes (revs up without advancing the car), it will sometimes kind of harshly slam into 4th gear. The trans temp is usually at about 160*F at temp (not like it's overheating).

In my initial reading, people always pointed to the shift solenoid pack, but given the large expense, I hate to throw money at a part. And in reading other threads, plenty of people replaced the solenoid pack and still had the issue (possible intermediate band, piston servo, or other issues being actually at fault).

Anecdotally or otherwise, can anyone infer if it still seems wise to try swapping the solenoid pack? I really welcome any sort of advice or thoughts anyone has.

Thank you so much!

Sounds like typical intermediate servo bore wear. AJ1E Superior Solutions sells a servo to fix it. The part about it getting worse the warmer it gets is a dead giveaway.

Back