2004 Explorer check engine soon light with a code P0401. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer check engine soon light with a code P0401.

glarkin

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Explorer with a Check Engine Light Code of P0401, it says EGR Flow Insufficient. Do I need to replace the EGR, some of the forums said the DPFE needs to be replaced, however I think the DPFE is built into the EGR on this model. So what do I need to do? Replace the EGR or is there something else I should do first? I also read it may not be the EGR and that carbon is built up in the hoses? Can I clean it somehow? If I do break down and have someone work on it, who do you recomend and how much would it cost. When I say recomend, someone like Firestone or Pep Boys? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the exhaust riser tube and connecting lines for cracks. If they look good then the issue is probably with the differential pressure sensor being clogged. How you clean those out is with a drill bit the same size as the port and by hand. No power tools. You will get a bunch of white ash (coke) out of those ports. Two bits will be needed as the ports are different sizes. It helps to have one of those 115 bit sets for this.

2004 Explorer check engine soon light with a code P0401

Thanks Mountain Man for the reply. Can you help me to identify where those parts are and the areas you said I should check. Thanks

I would like to bump this thread, because I'm experiencing the same problem,

Back