2004 Explorer hits 200,000 miles!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer hits 200,000 miles!!!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can find a reputable transmission shop for the time, when it comes.

While supposedly the transmission was supposed to be maintenance free so I sort of believed that, I've been maintaining the engine religiously. Most everything that rubber or wear items have already been replace a couple of times. Just got done with a major tuneup this spring.

I'm just wondering, as I know it's not worth it to change the fluid, but just to take it to a shop and have them add some new fluid until it starts to drip out of the top check hole. That way if it is a little, or a lot, low at least I haven't flushed the entire unit. The stats on that one just aren't easily available to see if anyone has done just that.
Adding fluid if it is low is something I would recommend. Either way you can't lose. If it is full or a little low the small amount of new fluid won't do much to change the characteristics of the old fluid. If it is a good amount low then it needs fluid anyway. Even a pan drop, filter change and refill only replaces about half of the transmission fluid. If you were adventurous and wanted to do this then it might be an option. Definitely stay away from flushing because this can dislodge a lot of solids etc. that can clog the tiny passages and this can cause major problems.

I think your vehicle is a good candidate for a transmission replacement even at a higher mileage since it has the 4.6L 2v engine. Since you have done good maintenance there is a high probability it has a lot of miles left in it. The one thing that would make me not pay for a transmission replacement is if it has a lot of rust. Especially on critical components like the frame, suspension, chassis supports etc. Rust is something that can't be mitigated without a lot of expense and sometimes even then it can be too far gone to save at any price.

Back