2004 Sport track Flex: Changed wires and plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport track Flex: Changed wires and plugs

arseatea

Reaction score
City, State
Beavercreek Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac XLT
Took my brother and me nearly 4 hours to change 6 plugs and wires. Fortunately, he had a lift or it would have taken longer. We had to remove the front wheels and work from the top and bottom. We put a little of the electric contact grease on the end of each wire. While trying to remove one new plug wire, I managed to pull the metal contact out of the new wire so I went back to Oreillys and got another. When I install it, I am thinking of coating most of the plug ceramic body and the entire insulated wire shaft with that greasy electronic stuff to help me slide the wire on until it snaps. There is very little area to get any leverage and it is really difficult to get that insulator all the way down over the plug. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more thing. The electronic key pad on the drivers door does not work. I have two numbers, one that the previous owner gave me, even tho he said it would not work, and I have the factory number which they say will work in all instances. But, they don't work either. I am wondering if maybe I am missing a blown fuse or something. anyone else having trouble with the key pad? I would surely like to get it working and then I could keep a emergency starter key inside the truck. Thanks for your help..Ron

One more thing. The electronic key pad on the drivers door does not work. I have two numbers, one that the previous owner gave me, even tho he said it would not work, and I have the factory number which they say will work in all instances. But, they don't work either. I am wondering if maybe I am missing a blown fuse or something. anyone else having trouble with the key pad? I would surely like to get it working and then I could keep a emergency starter key inside the truck. Thanks for your help..Ron

After posting this, I got the owners manual out of the glove box and re-read the instructions. It said to firmly push center of number pads with the factory numbers... and it worked. My face is red. Sorry

For the spark plug wires, I have found the auto part store brand for our vehicle has really poor quality metal connection piece between the spark plug and the wire. You either crunch/destroy it when trying to put it on the spark plug or it pulls away from the wire when you try to remove it. Took me 3 sets of wires from advance auto to finally get them all correct.

I purchased motorcraft ones and had no issues.

Typically the auto part store parts are pretty good and similar to oem quality or good enough. But every once in a while a product they have are just junk.

-Scott

I was kinda concerned because the wires were so much longer than the ones coming off., But they work. They are mid-priced set @ about $35, but they have a lifetime guarantee. If I ever need another set, I may just fork over the extra bucks and get the Motorcraft set. Hopefully, they will be the right size. But, I do wonder if it will be ok to smear the contact grease on the ceramic part of the plug to help this wire boot slide all the way down. It would help when the wires are removed too.

Back