2004 XLT Sport -- Starting Problems (11/26) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT Sport -- Starting Problems (11/26)

njjason

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Arlington, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Sport
My 2004 XLT Sport will not start. It is not a constant problem, but has happened three time in two months -- only when it rains or there is moisture outside, but not every time there is. Two times, the starter cranked but the engine would not turn over. The other time, the engine turned over, but very weakly and stalled out. The first time, towed to a dealer, started after two days, dealer had no idea what problem was. Second time, started after 15 minutes, drove to dealer, dealer says that fuel pump was not working properly. Third time (today), towed to different dealer (at family for Thanksgiving), started at dealer -- this dealer says it is remote starter. I'm fine with having remote starter removed if it is problem, but wonder, especially as dealer says Ford doesn't recommend remote starter installation and I know remote starter was a Ford dealer-installed accessory (picture of key fob in brochure). Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had a similar problem with our '02. What motor do you have? Will it start if you slightly depressed the gas pedal? Turned out to be our Idle Air Controller(device to allow air to by-pass the throttle body to allow the car to idle). I would try suggesting that to the deal. Ask them about the IAC or Idle Air Controller. If it happens again, try depressing the gas peddle slightly. It may also require that you keep it pressed a little bit to keep it running. Ours would eventually stay running after you played wth it for a little bit. Hope this helps!!

I have the 4.0 V6. But depressing the gas pedal when starting doesn't help (I've tried it). I will mention the IAC to the dealer -- would that show up as a code in the computer -- the first dealer indicated that they saw no codes when they checked. Thanks for your help.

Oh -- I forgot to mention. Had a weird experience last Friday when getting gas -- when I switched the car off, the dome light blinked on and off several times with clicking coming from the steering wheel. Happened when I turned it back on as well, but hasn't happened since.

Dealer thinks it is IAC -- was surprised that previous dealer didn't replace it. Everything else checks out on their diagnostic -- IATS, fuel pump. Don't think it is crankshaft placement sensor, as they have never seen one go bad. I'm having the remote starter removed anyway.

Back