2006-2010 models with the V8 engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006-2010 models with the V8 engine?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Hey Guys, I currently have a 2003 V8 Explorer but was considering upgrading to next generation 2006-2010 models. I was thinking 2008+ just so Ford had enough time to fix any bugs. My frame of thought is having a V8 with the newer, more powerful 4.6L along with the retuned suspension for a better ride. I started researching Ford brochures and if I understood correctly... the V8 is only available on a Eddie or Limited? Ideally, I want the XLT Sport with a V8 but I think that only has a standard V6 with no V8 option.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you are not understanding it correctly.

The V8 was an option on all trim levels. The brochures I've seen for '08 and '09 indicate it was available on those at all trim levels. I own an '07 XLT with the V8.

Your real trick will be finding an XLT with the V8. Most I found were the Eddie Bauer or Limited and had too much stuff I didn't want or need.

Good to know. The way I saw this brochure posted online was tricky then with all the columns. Can I get the XLT Sport with a V8? I really like the black headlights, black grill and other black treatments. I don't really need the 20" wheels.

2 words..... IRON MAN!

05 and up have the drive by wire transmission. You will notice the delay when taking off from a stop. It sucks. I wouldn't have purchased my 05 had I known this.
And you've been officially busted for trying to leave us 3rd gens. Shame on you. I thought we were family.

05 and up have the drive by wire transmission. You will notice the delay when taking off from a stop. It sucks. I wouldn't have purchased my 05 had I known this.
And you've been officially busted for trying to leave us 3rd gens. Shame on you. I thought we were family.
Not that it matters really but for reference my 04 has drive by wire as well..

Honestly doesn't bother me a bit and I had an 02 with a cable operated gas pedal too and between the two of them they both feel fine to me.. Do the job quite fine.

I keep seeing references to throttle lag on the explorer. To be honest, no idea what that is. My 07 responds just fine as compared to my 97 explorer with a mechanical throttle.

Also, the 06 and up V8 explorers have a completely different transmission than the 05s and earlier. 6 speed versus the older 5 speed.

I keep seeing references to throttle lag on the explorer. To be honest, no idea what that is. My 07 responds just fine as compared to my 97 explorer with a mechanical throttle.

Also, the 06 and up V8 explorers have a completely different transmission than the 05s and earlier. 6 speed versus the older 5 speed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404979

It's not a throttle issue, it's the lag in the tranny response. Perhaps the newer trans has fixed it, but some 4th gen folks have noticed it.

Don't the 2006-2010 Explorer V6's all have 5-speed transmissions and only the V8 comes with a 6-speed?

Wait a sec here, the third gen is only a 5 speed no matter what engine right?
This V8 4th gen 6 speed trans will it fit in a 3rd gen with a V8?

This needs to be test by someone with the time and money.

Wait a sec here, the third gen is only a 5 speed no matter what engine right?
This V8 4th gen 6 speed trans will it fit in a 3rd gen with a V8?

This needs to be test by someone with the time and money.

Yes, all Gen III came with a 5-speed trans (V6 or V8). Not sure about putting a Gen IV 6-speed into a Gen III. I think there might be a lot more to it than than, electronics etc. I'm no trans expert though.

I wouldn't bother trying, unless my 5-speed was already shot, someone gave me a free 6-speed, and it could be done with free labor. Just not work trying, as the chances of the computers controlling things properly are slim to none.

Back