2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

What is the proper method to check the trans oil level? Engine on, trans in park?

Sorry, but the 6r60 is not that easy to check the trans fluid level. Here is an extract from the 2007 model workshop procedure:

Transmission Fluid Level Check

Special Tool(s)
Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool

Material
Item Specification
MERCON® SP Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-6-QSP (US); CXT-6-LSP12 (Canada) MERCON® SP

CAUTION: The vehicle should not be driven if the transmission fluid level is low as internal failure could result.
CAUTION: The transmission fluid fill plug is located near the exhaust system. The exhaust will be extremely hot during this procedure.
NOTE: If the vehicle has been operated for an extended period at high highway speeds, in city traffic, during hot weather or while pulling a trailer, the transmission fluid must cool down to obtain an accurate reading.
NOTE: If the transmission starts to slip, shifts slowly or shows signs of transmission fluid leaking, the transmission fluid level should be checked.
NOTE: Do not overfill the transmission. The transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the crosshatch mark.
NOTE: If the installation of a new transmission fluid cooler, cooler tubes have been carried out the vehicle must be driven to get the transmission fluid to a temperature of 88ºC (190ºF) in order to purge the air from the transmission fluid cooling system.
1. With the engine running, place the transmission selector lever in each gear position and hold approximately 5 seconds. Place the transmission selector lever in PARK.
2. With the engine idling (600-750 rpm) in PARK, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
3. Remove the transmission fluid fill plug transmission fluid level indicator assembly, located on the passenger side front portion of the transmission case.

4. Separate the transmission fluid level indicator from the transmission fluid fill plug.

5. Wipe the transmission fluid level indicator clean. Reinstall the transmission fluid level indicator only back into the transmission fluid fill plug hole to check the transmission fluid level.

6. Using the scan tool, verify that the transmission fluid temperature is between 80ºC-85ºC (175ºF-185ºF). Do not overfill the transmission. The transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the crosshatch mark.

7. NOTE: If the transmission fluid is not at the correct level, follow the steps for Adding Additional Transmission Fluid or Removing Transmission Fluid. For additional information, refer to Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill in this section.
Install the transmission fluid fill plug.
• Tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb-ft).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if this a problem on the 2010 models? I had this problem on my '08 and had it flashed at a dealership, and that seemed to help. But then I bought a tuner from Henson when I flashed it, that brought the bump back. Now I have a 2010 and would like to buy a tuner kit for it, but don't want the bump

It isn't. The transmission in the '06-'08 is the 6R60 and the transmission in the '09 and '10 is the 6R80, I believe. But they certainly fixed the problem by the '09 model year.

In a practical way: Drive a few miles (If possible) to warm up the transmission, put the car on the lifter, running in PARK, release the 19 mm nut at right side over the pan, lift the nut carefully to avoid breaking the yellow dipstick that holds inside. Separate dipstick fron nut, clean dipstick and reinsert to check oil level.

Be careful: Dipstick nut is near the exhaust tube, which is very hot.

In the other hand, if the car barely moves (Or you know that trans is empty), check for leaks, seal them, pour 5 quarters of Mercon SP oil and then check oil level.

It isn't. The transmission in the '06-'08 is the 6R60 and the transmission in the '09 and '10 is the 6R80, I believe. But they certainly fixed the problem by the '09 model year.

Thanks Willied! As usual, you rock! I just got the tunes today from Henson so I'm pretty excited :)

Thanks Willied! As usual, you rock! I just got the tunes today from Henson so I'm pretty excited :)

No problem! I'm looking forward to hearing how the tunes work out for you.

In a practical way: Drive a few miles (If possible) to warm up the transmission, put the car on the lifter, running in PARK, release the 19 mm nut at right side over the pan, lift the nut carefully to avoid breaking the yellow dipstick that holds inside. Separate dipstick fron nut, clean dipstick and reinsert to check oil level.

Be careful: Dipstick nut is near the exhaust tube, which is very hot.

In the other hand, if the car barely moves (Or you know that trans is empty), check for leaks, seal them, pour 5 quarters of Mercon SP oil and then check oil level.

Oh wow, that's convenient... :scratch: I did a search, and saw this page that has some pictures (for us slow people) that illustrated this mini-dipstick and location: http://www.underhoodservice.com/issue/article.aspx?contentid=46599

No problem! I'm looking forward to hearing how the tunes work out for you.

Hey are you sure the 2010 had the updated transmission? I uploaded the 93 octane tune and have the bump now. It was pretty smooth before the tune. To be honest, the kit seems kind of disappointing. It still has an off-idle lag, and doesn't seem much faster. Jame was saying it would be a 10-15hp gain, there is no way

Hey are you sure the 2010 had the updated transmission? I uploaded the 93 octane tune and have the bump now. It was pretty smooth before the tune. To be honest, the kit seems kind of disappointing. It still has an off-idle lag, and doesn't seem much faster. Jame was saying it would be a 10-15hp gain, there is no way

The problem with the bump and other shifting issues with the 6r60 is not the transmission but the transmission control unit (surprisingly mounted inside the trans) and the PCM. Both have modified software provided by the TSB procedure. Typically, tunes modify both the transmission control software and the PCM software to "improve" engine and transmission performance. Often the trans shifting is faster and harsher than stock.

You probably need to complain to the tune supplier and request an updated tune. Most tunes allow the stock software to be saved before the tune is applied. You should be able to reload the prior software to get your proper vehicle operation back.

Good luck.

I'm pretty darn sure. Sounds like the problem is in the tune.

I had the dealer work on mine just before it hit 36,000 miles. Now with 135,000 miles, a somewhat harsh 2 to 1 downshift isometimes occurs. I've had the dealer drain and replace the fluid one other time after they did the warranty work.

I just picked up an '06 4.6 4x4 a couple weeks back, and am experiencing the hard shifts from 1-2, as well as the lurching when you stop.

The other issue I have is around 55-60 mph, the truck sometimes seems like it can't figure out what gear it wants to be in, and quickly shifts back and forth between 5th and 6th gear and starts to buck. I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, and if the reflash would help.

I took it to a dealer and they said they could not duplicate any of the issues, so they didn't flash the PCM. I think I'll have to go to a different dealer.

I just picked up an '06 4.6 4x4 a couple weeks back, and am experiencing the hard shifts from 1-2, as well as the lurching when you stop.

The other issue I have is around 55-60 mph, the truck sometimes seems like it can't figure out what gear it wants to be in, and quickly shifts back and forth between 5th and 6th gear and starts to buck. I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, and if the reflash would help.

I took it to a dealer and they said they could not duplicate any of the issues, so they didn't flash the PCM. I think I'll have to go to a different dealer.

You could take someone from the dealership out with you to demonstrate it for them.

Ask them to check the fluid level. Recently someone found their fluid was very low and, once filled, the issue went away.

I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. They flashed the PCM, and that really seemed to help with my hard shifting issues and the lurch at a stop.

For the bucking issue that I was having around 55-65mph, they said I had a misfire, so they replaced the spark plugs. So far it seems to run much better.

Fortunately, I still had a 30 day warranty from when I bought the truck, so I wasn't charged anything.

Got the TSB done last week and it never cured anything. My problem seems to be some of your guys but dfiferent. When letting off the throttle going uphill it will shift hard.o under half throttle the truck feels like it wants to shift but wont, which in turn the front end makes a odd sound. Kind of a binding sound. I know my vehicles pretty well being a auto parts manager but cannot figure it out. Any ideas??? Oh yeah it is a 4.6 with the 6R60

Thanks

Got the TSB done last week and it never cured anything. My problem seems to be some of your guys but dfiferent. When letting off the throttle going uphill it will shift hard.o under half throttle the truck feels like it wants to shift but wont, which in turn the front end makes a odd sound. Kind of a binding sound. I know my vehicles pretty well being a auto parts manager but cannot figure it out. Any ideas??? Oh yeah it is a 4.6 with the 6R60

Thanks

The TSB didn't fix mine either. I also tried replacing the TPS, that didn't do anything. The only other things I've heard are to replace the transmission solenoid (around $1000) or flush the trans fluid and refill (about $140 or so). I think I may try the trans flush someday.

How many miles do you have on yours?

A Ford transmission flush will run you about $400, I would for sure bring it to a reputable place. There is more than $140 worth of synthetic fluids in the tranny itself. I had the TSB done 6 months ago and couldn't be happier; did at the same time as the flush.

As for miss-shifting at highway speeds. Something to look are the spark plugs. I went a bit overboard with cleaning the engine and got water into the coil-over plugs. Had to take them all out and at that point I decided to replace the plugs since I was that far into the job.

Also I do know that removing power from the battery will cause the computer to re-learn your driving style. Meaning, you may want to reset the power after you believe you have identified the root cause.

A Ford transmission flush will run you about $400, I would for sure bring it to a reputable place. There is more than $140 worth of synthetic fluids in the tranny itself. I had the TSB done 6 months ago and couldn't be happier; did at the same time as the flush.

As for miss-shifting at highway speeds. Something to look are the spark plugs. I went a bit overboard with cleaning the engine and got water into the coil-over plugs. Had to take them all out and at that point I decided to replace the plugs since I was that far into the job.

Also I do know that removing power from the battery will cause the computer to re-learn your driving style. Meaning, you may want to reset the power after you believe you have identified the root cause.

Other people have gotten $140 flushes and it's worked for them, but I guess it's up to the person doing it.

Thanks

This doesn´t sound bad to me. Often, I have to take a road uphill, which begins with a closed curve, and my Explorer behaves that way, because is engaging the front axle in 4x4 mode. Also, she behaves and makes that kind of noise when going uphill, starting, letting off the throttle, etc., due to the traffic. My 2003 Explorer did the same, they´re noisy when engaging front axle going uphill at low speeds.

The hill suggests to me it may just be low on fluid. I assume you brought it in for the flash and have not had a fluid change, is this correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

The ETC (Throtlle body) wires are prone to get damaged by the heat. My 07 EB experienced many problems (No idle, bump shifting, Yellow wrench light on) due to this cause. Just check the two connectors at ETC, one (4 wires) is for the TPS and the other for the TAC (2 wires), separate the wires one from each other if they are bonded together, and test how it works. Mine worked OK with this simple care. Good luck!

Back