2006 Explorer Driver Front Seat Swap Questions. Possibilities. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Driver Front Seat Swap Questions. Possibilities.

ocmnelson

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer AT w/RSC
Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Explorer XLS 4.0. My Driver seat back is sagging on the right side and is terrible for long drives. I am looking into replacing my seats with another explorer (same year) so it will be a direct unbolt/bolt swap. I have searched the threads but I don't find much on the 2006 as well as get a definitive answer.

My questions:
1) What Explorer year range will fit in the 2006? Is is all explorers 2006-2010 will be an easy no mod swap? Also I have heard about Aviators and Mountaineers can be swapped too? What year ranges of these would fit my 2006 and will those be a direct bolt swap as well. (No modding or drilling for new holes)

2) I currently have the all manual, (Non Power seat.) in my SUV now. I do notice there is a plug connected from the carpet to my seat. Is this only for my Airbag sensor? Also if I buy power seats will my current plug power the power seats?

I wish there was a comparison chart that would compare what fits and what work would need to be done depending on the seats your replacing. :)

Thank you for all your help and sorry if this has been answered before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, did you find answers to your questions...? I want to go manual to power as well in a XLS.

Same here but I have an eb, my drivers seat is ruined lmao

only problem you will run in to is if your donor seat has the memory function another member did a long write up just to bypass the module so if possible find a seat with only power..... I swapped out my full interior for leather and wiring the power passenger seat was just 2 wires but you will want to chop both sides of the harness from the donor vehicle.... there is a 3rd wire for heated seats but i didnt keep it

1) I upgraded my 2010 XLT manual passenger seat with a power seat from a 2006 Mountaineer. Seats from an Explorer or Mountaineer from 2006 to 2010 should fit.

2) The stock connector will not have power as they are missing the power and ground connections so I ran them from the driver side, which was a power seat, and it worked like a charm. Since your seats currently do not have power, you will have to run a 12v constant power and ground to the donated power seat wiring.

I actually got 2 power passenger seats from 2006 models because I did not realize the seat connectors to the vehicle were different. It was not a total loss as I removed the cushions and covers from one of the passenger seats (bottom and top) and moved them to the driver's side. The only modification for the driver's side was the plastic seat clip was too long on the left side and need to be shortened to retain the seat to the bottom. It was a struggle to get the headrest off from both seats. Installation of the driver's side was not smooth, but the end result is my driver's side seat was upgraded from cloth to leather using the cushions and covering from the passenger side.

Do you have before and after pics? :)

1) I upgraded my 2010 XLT manual passenger seat with a power seat from a 2006 Mountaineer. Seats from an Explorer or Mountaineer from 2006 to 2010 should fit.

2) The stock connector will not have power as they are missing the power and ground connections so I ran them from the driver side, which was a power seat, and it worked like a charm. Since your seats currently do not have power, you will have to run a 12v constant power and ground to the donated power seat wiring.

I actually got 2 power passenger seats from 2006 models because I did not realize the seat connectors to the vehicle were different. It was not a total loss as I removed the cushions and covers from one of the passenger seats (bottom and top) and moved them to the driver's side. The only modification for the driver's side was the plastic seat clip was too long on the left side and need to be shortened to retain the seat to the bottom. It was a struggle to get the headrest off from both seats. Installation of the driver's side was not smooth, but the end result is my driver's side seat was upgraded from cloth to leather using the cushions and covering from the passenger side.

when I did my fronts I also did the cover swap on the drivers seat since the donor seat floor mounts were broken but the headrests just pop out when you jam a pick into the little hole on the side

Back