2006 Explorer Navigation & SR iPod Connection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Navigation & SR iPod Connection

themi29

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I just bought a 2006 Explorer Limited and it came fully loaded with every option under the sun. I'm looking for an aftermarket hookup so I can play my iPod through the car speakers. I've seen ones that will allow the steering mounted controls to cycle through songs and navigate playlists in addition to displaying the song and artist information on the navigational screen. However, it hooks up through the Sirius radio and I don't have a subscription, nor do I have any desire to pay every month for something I don't use. Does anyone know of any options or has anyone done this themselves and know what works? I called up several places and most adapters are incompatible with either the navigation or the navigation & sirius radio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

usa spec pa15-ford2 with sat tuner- does not need to be active. installs in pass kick panel

or usa spec pa15-ford1 installs behind radio.

isimple pxamg with ford harness.

usa spec pa15-ford2 with sat tuner- does not need to be active. installs in pass kick panel

or usa spec pa15-ford1 installs behind radio.

isimple pxamg with ford harness.

Are you sure that will work? I'm getting conflicting answers from everyone. I called up Crutchfield who sells both the pa15-ford1 and pa15-ford2 and they told me the the Sirius subscription would have to be active in order to work. Do you have experience with this working?

i have the pa15-ford2 on my 06 eddie bauer. now that i think of it it may need the sub to be active.

the pa15-ford1 is for cars without sirius. get that instead.

i have the pa15-ford2 on my 06 eddie bauer. now that i think of it it may need the sub to be active.

the pa15-ford1 is for cars without sirius. get that instead.

From what I was told the factory navigation with sirius has different hookups in the back than just the standard navigation without sirius

no the car has the same hookup with or without nab and with or w/o sirius.

there are 3 plugs. you will be using only 2 of them. the large rectangle and smaller rectangle. it installs as a t harness. plug the use spec into radio and the car harness into use spec harness. easy plug and play install. mount the iPod cable where you want in glovebox or center console

no the car has the same hookup with or without nab and with or w/o sirius.

there are 3 plugs. you will be using only 2 of them. the large rectangle and smaller rectangle. it installs as a t harness. plug the use spec into radio and the car harness into use spec harness. easy plug and play install. mount the iPod cable where you want in glovebox or center console

Would it still be able to control through the steering wheel controls as well as display the song/artist info on the in dash nav?

yes the controls and display both work

crutchfield also gives a 30day guarantee if you don't like it

yes the controls and display both work

crutchfield also gives a 30day guarantee if you don't like it

My car already has sirius installed though, I just don't have an active subscription. On the site it says its not for systems with the factory satellite radio tuner.

you can unplug the sirius module and it won't show on the nav display of you want. its in pass kick panel and is a silver rectangle shaped

ipod hook up for 2006 limited nav explorer

what if i still want the sirus to work then how do i hook up the ipod connection?

i thought factory sirus wasn't available for an 06 explorer with navigation?

i have an 06 limited with factory navigation and have wanted to add ipod input since forever, but can't get an answer on whether it's possible.

cmk0808 - you're saying a pa15-ford1 from crutchfield will work for me? if so, that'd be awesome!

i notice they're also available on ebay for about $35 less.

on the later 06 they started coming with the factory sirius.

if you have no sirius- you need the pa 15 ford 1

if you have factory sirius- you need pa 15 ford 2

on the later 06 they started coming with the factory sirius.

you mean later 06 had the sirius tuner already installed? i'm guessing mine doesn't - there's no media selection for sirius or sr.

so i guess the pa 15 ford 1 is the one i want.

thanks a lot!

the early 06 does not have the sirius as a factory option. the job 2 trucks has the option which is the later models.

if you dont have sirius get the pa 15 ford 1.

cmk, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for advice here. i got the pa 15 ford 1, installed it easily, routed the cable to the ipod through the transmission tunnel and into a hole i drilled in the console box between the seats. i plugged in my ipod nano, and everything works EXACTLY as you and they indicated. sound quality is very good, control is simple, and finally i've got all my music available at any time!

the 'compromise' is that since it's implemented by making the ipod look to the factory stereo like a sirius tuner, some controls are a big obscure, such as selecting 'genre' to view the list of artists, playlists, etc. but other than that, it works great, including steering wheel and stereo controls! my ipod nano sits in the center box charging when needed, and i never look at or touch it, lol. i'm thinking of attaching it to the side of the box (inside) with some velcro.

THANKS AGAIN! after 6 years i finally have this, yay, lol :D

p.s. - i read about not buying the interface from an authorized vendor (warranty not valid i believe) but i ended up taking my chances and buying it on amazon anyway. i believe i paid $116 or so.

Back