2007 Ford Explorer: Storm Chaseing Vechicle "Camera Dome" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer: Storm Chaseing Vechicle "Camera Dome"

BLD_007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hello everyone! First post =)

I'm going to making several posts on this subject that are related but are also different.

This one is about the camera dome. The others are going to be about a hail net/shield and installing hideaway lights "amber" If you want me to combine them into one, let me know.

Thanks!
__

Now, down to business. I got my 2007 ford explorer this past spring as my old vehicle 97 ford explorer sport needed more work then it was worth.

I'm a storm chaser and this past spring I tried to install a camera dome to the roof of my chase vehicle.
225349_10150204458726505_510701504_6737125_7502346_n.jpg

The dome is bolted to a plexiglass base plate. The base plate then lips under the cargo rack. The cargo rack also tied down snug against the dome. This prevents the dome from flying off my vehicle.

The problem I had was that going down the freeway the base plate turned into a reed and would flap like crazy. I came up with a quick fix by using zip ties every 6" or so and ting it down to the rack. This worked till the ties started to fail due to stain.

This next season I want a better solution. I also want something I can put on and off with ease as storm chasing is not 24/7 =(

Cheaper the better and remember, I'm chasing storms so it needs to be secure for freeway driving and high winds.

I welcome all ideas!

Here is my old vehicle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFaUKNnXv1w&feature=channel_video_title

I used zip-ties to tie down the mesonet as it was easier. Working with plexiglass that holds a $2,000 camera/robotics is a little different =p

I will post a new video/pictures of my new vehicle when I can. I'm hoping to get most of my work done before the winter hits as I don't have a garage and twisters are just around the corner =p

Thanks again!
-Brian

Get a sturdy Thule load-carrying system. This would have feel that secure into the Explorer tracks, and flat horizontal load bars:
1. They are flat all the way across, not curved like the factory crossbars
2. They are rock-solid, and will hold your equipment better than the factory bars
3. They have rectangular cross-section, which would be better for you, compared to the round crossbars used by Yakima. More contact area to your baseplate.

You can then try some u-bolts to hard-clamp the baseplate to the Thule bars. Get the bars close enough together to have attachment every 90 degrees around the baseplate.

You may also want to get a Thule wind fairing to keep any wind from going under the dome, but rather direct all air over the dome. Otherwise, it will act like a wing, generate lift, and end up fatiguing the baseplate (cracks at the u-bolts).

PS - When not chasing storms, this will have the side-benefit of letting you haul bikes and other gear (added accessories required, of course).

Back