2008 Limited power running board replacement motor? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Limited power running board replacement motor?

zerodevil,

you will need to take the 3 phillips screws on the back side of the motor out, and pull off the cap to spin the shaft, so you can get the notch lined up in the open position so you can get the wedge in place,

after you have the new motor in place and the wedge in. take the board over and plug it in, open the door, see if the motor is turing in the right direction. if you open the door and the board closes, you know the ploiartiy is off, because it is running backwards, remember the left motor is for the right board, and the right motor is for the left board. they may run backwards
take the 3 phillips screws and spin the cap in any direction, that will cause the motor to run in reverse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

expedition or navigator motors will work, i bought a set off amazone for 150.00
the motors are backwards though,
the left motor will fit on the right board
and the right motor will fit on the left board.
I also swapped the out the output shaft.
the electrical plug fit perfectly.
if your board is running in reverse, spin the motor cap on the rear of the motor,
that will make the motor spin in the opposite direction,

works 100%
Did you have any trouble getting the motor free from the bracket? I've read that the motors are pressed into the brackets and are often seized in place.
I've diagnosed my dead passenger board as a bad motor. My driver's side continues to work fine. I leave it turned off mostly because I find myself just stepping over it 9/10 times.

I removed the 3 Allen bolts, came right out. No force.

Nice, so you left the input shafts in the boards and just swapped the motors out.

Really a great find!

Bad news is new motors did not fix my boards. good news is that a very thorough cleaning did. I had to remove them from the truck, carefully force them open, clean with an entire can of WD-40, and lubricate with silicon grease. It seems that the black coating applied to all of the brackets had began to peel away as the alloy beneath corroded over the years. these peels worked their way into the pin areas and between the bracket peices, causing the boards to bind. I removed all of the peeling material, cleaned, and lubricated. Have had trouble free daily use for over a month so far!

Don't you love it when what looks like an expensive fix becomes a cheap one?

Ps.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by spin the motor cap?

The back cap with the 3 torque screws, that protects the windings. That has magnets in it.
So if your motor runs the wrong way, rotate the cap, that will reverse the motor.
It is changing the 12v + and - polarity.

Back