2008 Mountaineer Premier V8 AWD Tire Suggestions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mountaineer Premier V8 AWD Tire Suggestions...

I've got a 08 Mountaineer Premier V8 AWD and I am looking for a good ALL Weather Tire
that is going to see New York snow seasons at least 3 months out of the year.
I've looked at all of the All-Seasons picks and I'm not happy at all.
I want an aggressive tire for the heavy snow and can be driven on the highway
the remainder of the year.

Give me a few suggestions based on your experiences.
The stock tire size is 235/65-18. 245/60 offers some different choices also...

Given your wheel size, you may be better off getting a dedicated set of snow tires to mount in the winter. That being said, I am currently on some General Grabber HTS' in NW Montana in the mountains. I am able to scoot around fine here in 2wd in my '98, and my tires are around 50k miles old. In the snow and ice, it will be hard to beat a true winter tire (especially with studs for the ice). If you were a different wheel size, I'd say to look at the BFG KO2, or General Grabber AT2.

74,000 miles (Aug 2010) - Purchased '06 Mounty. 18" wheels. Not sure what tires were on it.

78,170 miles (Feb 2011) - New BFGoodrich LongTrail (standard load) ($151 each)
These were fantastic in the snow. Being changed during the Michigan winter, I'm not sure how much was the tire quality, or if it was just the comparison to 4 worn out tires. But it was awesome with the AWD locked! Dry, wet, or snow (or towing our 5200 lb trailer) we felt very secure in these tires.
We got a bit over 4 years, but only 35,000 miles on a "60,000 miles" tire. The sidewalls were showing some cracking (UV damage), so they were done.

113,560 miles (July 2015) - Yokahama YK-HTX XL-rated ($165 each)
The LongTrails were still available, but were like $180 each. These Yoks (and some others) were cheaper, rated higher, and I liked the XL rating for towing.
They have not been bad tires, but I noticed immediately that when towing, they did not feel as stable. Which is surprising because of the XL rating meaning stronger sidewalls. It's been a very mild winter here in the Detroit area, so they have not yet had a workout in any significant snow.

If BFG has a decent price on the LongTrail (or it's replacement), that would be my vote. (Just checked. LongTrails are $162 at Discount Tire. If they were that price when I was looking, I would have stayed with them).

Back