• Register Today It's free!

2009 Explorer Coolant Leak

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
Three weeks ago the dealer replaced the thermostat and upper radiator hose, along with coolant flush. I now have a coolant leak at 1) radiator neck area where it mate with the upper radiator hose, 2) upper radiator hose connecting to the thermostat house, and some wetness on heater hose connecting to the thermostat housing area. Both end of the upper radiator hose are tie with worm gear tie. I tighten the worm gear a bit last night and it appear to stop the leak, but I noticed some small leak on the same areas again this evening when I drove the truck home. I originally though that the thermostat housing is failing but now I start to wonder if that is actually the case.

Is it possible that both neck of thermostat housing and radiator got crack/broken during the hose replacement? I can't really find a concrete evident show that dealer screw it up. The truck just passed 60K miles mark.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

some mechanics aren't aware of the correct torque when tinkering with the thermostat housing. I don't know off hand what the torque is supposed to be, but I do know that it has to be exact..... not just tightened by "feel" or snugness.

I went through 2 housings in three months because of this ..... all under warranty. Finally, I went to a different Ford dealership and they explained the torque sensitivity to me.....and the one they installed has lasted the past 50,000 miles.

My problems all began when I went in for hose changes and flush at about 60,000. My car now has about 110,000....

Sorry for the late respond. I loose up the worm gears, "jiggle" both end of the hose and push them in a bit, re-tighten the worm gears. It has been good so far. I ordered the Breeze constant torque clamps and will use them if the leak start again.

Thanks for the inputs! Happy holiday!

Back