2010 Explorer XLT - Issue with Dome 'Side' Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer XLT - Issue with Dome 'Side' Lights

ExplorerProPer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to repairing vehicles in general. I really like my '10 Explorer and want to keep it in good working order as long as possible.

My first of many questions:

The lights on the immediate left and right of the interior Dome light do not function when the vehicle engine is running. However, when I turn off the engine and open the door, the 'side' lights function as intended.

I have checked the fuse (23) and it is the correct amperage and it is in good working order (obviously).

Does anyone have any insight into what could be going on with those side lights?

Thanks very much for any assistance or other insights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe its not clear in your description. Each side will have an off/on switch. Are you using them when the door is closed? It would be odd for them both to be defective. It should be a single element bulb. Its working opening the door so the bulbs are good.

Maybe its not clear in your description. Each side will have an off/on switch. Are you using them when the door is closed? It would be odd for them both to be defective. It should be a single element bulb. Its working opening the door so the bulbs are good.

Yes it is very odd! To clarify: I will have the engine on and try either button - nothing.

Someone else will chime in on this. I haven't seen a defect on these like this being on this form. I haven't searched either. I some other vehicles there is an inline diode rectifier that burns out due to the current but I don't have a schematic on this either. I hope you don't have your dash brightness turned way down. It may be controlling those lights as well if it is!!! Check it to be sure.

Do you have a remote start ?

Do you have a remote start ?

I am not aware of that feature being installed, and I have read no mention of remote start in the paperwork I received at the dealership in 2012.

Someone else will chime in on this. I haven't seen a defect on these like this being on this form. I haven't searched either. I some other vehicles there is an inline diode rectifier that burns out due to the current but I don't have a schematic on this either. I hope you don't have your dash brightness turned way down. It may be controlling those lights as well if it is!!! Check it to be sure.

Well, I think I have some cause for embarrassment. I went and checked the dial that adjusts the dashboard light brightness. It is functioning normally. Significantly, I noticed when I turned the dial all the way to the right, it did turn on the dome light while the engine was running. Then, I checked the 'side' lights - both turned on.

I take this to mean that everything is functioning as intended (right?) I always assumed that the 'side' dome lights would work on demand, without the need to turn the dial to the right-most setting (which turns on the center dome light).

I apologize for wasting people's time; not a great start on the forum!

Great,

we all did that at some point :)

Glad it was that simple.
Tripplec gets the prize :)

You are correct. With the dial backed off of full one which clicks and turns on the lights while the doors are closed (option for the driver to light up the interior with opening the door, EG while driving etc) you should get the light to turn on with the upper console switch by them. It does not appear that is happening though.

Back