2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Limited V8 Front end noise/hum driver side - stumped now after several attempted fixes.

absentx

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 V8 Limited
Hi All - scanned through lots of threads and done three repairs now and I can't figure this out.

2010 V8 Limited, 145,000 miles

So, started hearing a hum/whaa whaa wha type sound between 45 and 55 mph about six months ago. Reasoned my new tires needed to be rotated, so I rotated them (which put the tires at about 8000 miles). This did not help the hum, but shortly thereafter I had an ABS light which indicated failure of front drivers side sensor.

I figured "great, the hum most likely is the hub, I'll just replace the whole thing" which I did.

Hum kind of improved but ultimately not really. So last month I had no time to wrench myself so I took it in. Mechanic says " you need a new passenger side front hub" Okay sounds fine, we all know how these hubs are, so the timing and mileage was about right for both to be replaced.

Go to pick up the truck once they were done and there was a note from mechanic "change front drivers side soon!!" I talked to the mechanic and said "I replaced that one 1000 miles ago!!" and he said, "well you still have a sound/hum up on that front drivers side".

Took truck home and drove for another 1500 or so miles and sound seemed to improve for a bit, but then just seemed to be starting to make even more noise etc, so I decided to tear back into the truck yesterday.

1. Step one, put rear of truck on jacks and checked each rear hub. No play, both seemed smooth and solid.
  2. Jack up front driver side and check the one I put on back in May. Sure enough, there was some play.
Once I get the caliper and the Rotor off I see lots of grease and spray out back there, then I realize the problem. Two out of the three bolts for the hub were finger tight loose! ****. I was comforted by this though as I knew the problem.

Warrantied the Hub at O'rielleys and since there was a lot of grease I was worried about the CV so I picked up a new front driver side CV axle.

Installed both the CV and the new hub today. Tightened hub bolts to 90 foot pounds, caliper bolts to 100 foot pounds and cv axle nut to 184.

Took for a test drive. Same hum between 45 and 55. I essentially gave the thing a new driver side front end and it didn't help. Could this simply be a tire issue? Where do I look next?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes where the noise seem to be coming from can be wrong. I could have sworn it was my front drivers side hub but after replacing that the noise was still there. Yep it was the passenger side. Did you also check the fluid level in the front diff?

Does the hum change when you are turning left or right? Is the sound different depending on the turning direction?

Don't forget your rear bearings - at 145K they are due if they haven't been done before. As mentioned above, the way the sound travels in these vehicles can fool you. A noise in the rear like that can sound like it's coming from the front.

Hum does not seem to change while turning. Going to take for another test drive shortly and see if 4wd use has any change on noise.

Have not checked diff fluid level will also do that.

Rear bearings I am almost positive are original so I do realize they are due and most likely will be the next target area.

Hi All - scanned through lots of threads and done three repairs now and I can't figure this out.

So, started hearing a hum/whaa whaa wha type sound between 45 and 55 mph about six months ago. Reasoned my new tires needed to be rotated, so I rotated them (which put the tires at about 8000 miles). This did not help the hum, but shortly thereafter I had an ABS light which indicated failure of front drivers side sensor. In

I figured "great, the hum most likely is the hub, I'll just replace the whole thing" which I did.

Hum kind of improved but ultimately not really. So last month I had no time to wrench myself so I took it in. Mechanic says " you need a new passenger side front hub" Okay sounds fine, we all know how these hubs are, so the timing and mileage was about right for both to be replaced.

Go to pick up the truck once they were done and there was a note from mechanic "change front drivers side soon!!" I talked to the mechanic and said "I replaced that one 1000 miles ago!!" and he said, "well you still have a sound/hum up on that front drivers side".

Took truck home and drove for another 1500 or so miles and sound seemed to improve for a bit, but then just seemed to be starting to make even more noise etc, so I decided to tear back into the truck yesterday.

1. Step one, put rear of truck on jacks and checked each rear hub. No play, both seemed smooth and solid.
  2. Jack up front driver side and check the one I put on back in May. Sure enough, there was some play.
Once I get the caliper and the Rotor off I see lots of grease and spray out back there, then I realize the problem. Two out of the three bolts for the hub were finger tight loose! ****. I was comforted by this though as I knew the problem.

Warrantied the Hub at O'rielleys and since there was a lot of grease I was worried about the CV so I picked up a new front driver side CV axle.

Installed both the CV and the new hub today. Tightened hub bolts to 90 foot pounds, caliper bolts to 100 foot pounds and cv axle nut to 184.

Took for a test drive. Same hum between 45 and 55. I essentially gave the thing a new driver side front end and it didn't help. Could this simply be a tire issue? Where do I look next?

Thanks!
Sounds like your front differential gears are worn.Check the oil in the front end differential if there is gray muddy oil like substance at the bottom that is metal shavings from the bearings inside. I have the same problem with my unit. 2003 explorer XLT 4.0 4x4. 92,000 miles.My vehicle has the same humming noises.It is not the wheel bearing at all.I have to purchase a junkyard unit because no one rebuilds them, some separate parts are no longer available.
Good luck.

Hum does not seem to change while turning. Going to take for another test drive shortly and see if 4wd use has any change on noise.

Have not checked diff fluid level will also do that.

Rear bearings I am almost positive are original so I do realize they are due and most likely will be the next target area.
So a little story.
At around 96K I had a bearing noise. Sounded like it was coming from the front - but it didn't really change that much in a turn and it wasn't that loud really. After a bit, my steering wheel started shaking on the interstate between 70 and 75. I knew my front bearings were new or fairly new - and the symptoms for a front bearing weren't really there completely so I started looking for other causes rather than blaming the front bearings.
At one point, especially after reading how a problem in the rear can sound like it's from the front - I decided that on a left turn that I could hear slightly more noise than in a right turn. It was subtle - but I drive a road frequently that is very curvy and at 45 it's good for hearing these things.
I bit the bullet and replaced the RR bearing. Again, it was at about 96K.
Everything cleared right up. A few months later I replaced the LR bearing just because. That was around 40K or so ago.
How long have you owned the vehicle? Did you buy it new? I ask because I've had mine since it was a year old and had 19K on it. I know how it's been treated over the years so there are things I'm less concerned about than a vehicle I don't know the history on.

So a little story.
At around 96K I had a bearing noise. Sounded like it was coming from the front - but it didn't really change that much in a turn and it wasn't that loud really. After a bit, my steering wheel started shaking on the interstate between 70 and 75. I knew my front bearings were new or fairly new - and the symptoms for a front bearing weren't really there completely so I started looking for other causes rather than blaming the front bearings.
At one point, especially after reading how a problem in the rear can sound like it's from the front - I decided that on a left turn that I could hear slightly more noise than in a right turn. It was subtle - but I drive a road frequently that is very curvy and at 45 it's good for hearing these things.
I bit the bullet and replaced the RR bearing. Again, it was at about 96K.
Everything cleared right up. A few months later I replaced the LR bearing just because. That was around 40K or so.
How long have you owned the vehicle? Did you buy it new? I ask because I've had mine since it was a year old and had 19K on it. I know how it's been treated over the years so there are things I'm less concerned about than a vehicle I don't know the history on.
I had bought mine at 63k miles now I have 92kmiles. Now I am trying to find a shop to disassemble the front differential to find the bad bearings etc.

I had bought mine at 63k miles now I have 92kmiles. Now I am trying to find a shop to disassemble the front differential to find the bad bearings etc.
You may want to find a shop to diagnose first rather than disassemble the front end. At 92k it's hard to believe it's worn out.

So an update on this. A buddy and me put the truck up on a lift a few weeks ago and found the rear brakes in really bad shape. I have had warped rotors before cause a "Wha wha" type sound, and since the breaks needed replacing anyways, we did the job.

That did not fix the noise (it was wishful thinking but worth a shot).

The noise has absolutely continued since my post and I think has gotten worse, so on Saturday my Dad and I put the truck up on four jacks, turned the traction control off and had someone push on the gas while the other walked around to hone in on the noise. It is absolutely coming from the rear, SO - hopefully just one or both of the rear bearings or cv perhaps. I took it to the shop today and relayed all of this to them. Hoping they can get some listeners on it tomorrow and finally pin point the issue. Weather has turned pretty fast up here and with loss of DST this is best left to the pros with my current setup. I'll report back once I know.

So, started hearing a hum/whaa whaa wha type sound between 45 and 55 mph about six months ago. Reasoned my new tires needed to be rotated, so I rotated them (which put the tires at about 8000 miles). This did not help the hum, but shortly thereafter I had an ABS light which indicated failure of front drivers side sensor.

Thanks!
I have the same exact problem. But issue is the front differential assembly pinion and ring gear mechanism. Has to be taken apart replaced or reset if you can find someone to do it for you. Most mechanics don't know how. The best thing to do is buy a remanufactured unit, or go to a junk yard which most so called mechanics do. But you are buying junkyard junk. It's best to buy a remanufactured one which will have a good warranty.
Good luck.

If it truly is the differential at 145K miles, and the thing has grease in it, you have a very unusual and uncommon problem. Those things are bulletproof.

Yeah its not the diff in this case. They put it up on the rack and isolated the sound to the rear right bearing. Just hasn't been fixed yet because they are jam packed for another week. I'll report once it's really fixed and I have driven it and know the sound is gone!

Should be a simple job at this point. Normally you diagnose this by putting the truck on the rack and running it, listening with a stethoscope. A problem is that sometimes bad bearings don't make noise unless they are loaded on the ground. Please do let us know if this corrects your problem. Sounds quite promising.

Thanks!
It absolutely is your front differential ring and pinion gears. You should buy a remanufactured differential unit about $1400.00 from Power Train Products.

I have a 2010 V8 Limited with about 155k on it too, so very interested in what happens here. I have started to hear some noises too. The big one I have is a groaning/resonating on acceleration sometimes. To me it feels like the throttle/fuel delivery issue, but my mechanic says that all checks out fine. I do sometimes think steering angle is involved, and wonder if it is something with my power steering pump.

Truck is finally back in my hands! Again, the shop was backlogged for a few weeks and I didn't need the truck so I just left it there.

They replaced the rear right bearing assembly and speed sensor and the truck drives like it just came off the showroom floor. Now, don't forget, I replaced both fronts in chasing this issue, so I essentially am new all around. I'll probably replace rear left this spring once it's nicer out and I can do it.

There is nothing wrong with my differential.

as @Trainmaster said, getting it off the ground was the first step where we could finally isolate sound was coming from rear. Shop then was able to confirm with listeners/stethoscope etc.

Amazing how much noise those things can make and how it can sound like its come from just about anywhere in the truck.

Other notes and problem recap:
  • Free spinning rear tires with hands while on jacks gave no indication of problem.
  • Doing the wobble/play check on rear tires while on jacks gave no indication of problem, they seemed tight as can be.
  • Noise eventually was noticeable at low speeds as a "wha wha wha" but since day one the most noticeable symptom was a fast onset humming noise between 45 and 55 mph that would largely fade away by 60 mph, but in that range, it was getting real loud.
  • Turning had no effect on noise.

Thank you so much for sharing this and the findings. One day someone will save months of work worry and money reading this thread. It may be me!

Back