2011 - 2015 HID & 2016 LED Lumens and Kelvin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 - 2015 HID & 2016 LED Lumens and Kelvin?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
For anybody that has a 2011-2015 HID kit for their Explorer (or even a factory unit), how does that compare to the 2016 LED headlights? Which one has more lumens? What is the Kelvin temp for the LED's? I know the HID's are 4300K.

Has anybody out there went from the 2011-2015 factory HID to the 2016 LED's? What is the light output difference - better or worse? I noticed Ford went back to a reflector housing.

Are they all just a marketing gimmick?

I have a 2016 with the LED's

I's day they are 4300K or very close to it. In fact I think that is always the goal in automotive lighting from the OEM's.

Lumens - I don't have a meter for that so I have no real idea but compared to other HID's they are every bit as bright - but they aren't quite a focused. Ie there is a bit more scatter - which over all I think is a good thing. Visibility is very very good.

On that reflector bit - I think - looking at how the LED is mounted and the way the projector sits - Ford is positioning themselves to have adaptive lighting on the explorer as a basic feature soon - as has such all they have to do it move the reflector just a bit on each side independently you have light following the steering. This way they don't adjust the lense - move a projector, move a bulb . . . . . . .

just tip a coated plastic reflector in a sealed up assembly. - leave the LED and it's heatsink alone.

Back