2011 - Adaptive Cruise Control Won't Stay Engaged | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 - Adaptive Cruise Control Won't Stay Engaged

kblee

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 4WD
I've been having an issue with the adaptive cruise control in my 2011 Limited that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. In the first 4 years of ownership, the only time that I ever had the adaptive cruise control disengage was during a huge downpour (I know - shouldn't have cruise on in rain anyway).

Of late, when I take longer trips (several hours) on the highway, after 20 or 30 minutes it will randomly disengage and I get the dash pop-up alerting me that the "collision avoidance system, blah, blah, blah". After about 15 minutes of driving with no cruise, the system will reset itself and allow me to resume use of the adaptive cruise control. On a trip from Memphis to Chicago last weekend this occurred at least 5 times.

I mentioned it to my dealer when I was in for a Works Oil Change a few weeks ago, and they recalibrated the sensors. But, it did not help. Anyone else experience something like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was the blah blah blah part? Was it CAS disabled or along those lines?

Usually this happens when there is an erratic signal being read from the radar sensor in the bumper, usually pops up when driving in a bad storm because of so much rain.

Bumper clean?

Any fluid draining down the inside of the bumper?

Connection to module nice and tight?

What was the blah blah blah part? Was it CAS disabled or along those lines?

Yes, the word "disabled" was in there somewhere, unfortunately I don't remember the exact text. Again, I had only seen this during bad storms in the first 4 years of owning the vehicle. The bumper is clear and the weather has been perfect the last dozen times it has happened.

I'm fairly sure that there isn't any fluid draining inside the bumper. But, the connection to the module is something that probably should be checked. I failed to mention in the original post that this has only occurred at sustained cruising speeds of greater than 70 MPH.

Next time this happens see if you can turn off adaptive cruise control and see if it works then as normal cruise control.

Should be in vehicle settings in the left side of the IC.

Problems with Adaptive Cruise and Collision System Inoperative

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport with Adaptive Cruise and Collision Warning and am now having issues while driving on the highway when the system becomes inoperative. This happens on sunny days so the sensor is not clogged with dirt/snow/rain. It will work for over 75 miles and then I will experience an issue. It will reset after a period of time/miles and work again. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the code was set in the system and reset /removed it and was unable to get it to set/fail again. I had it for about a week and experienced the problem again. Are there known issues with this system and how do I get it corrected?

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport with Adaptive Cruise and Collision Warning and am now having issues while driving on the highway when the system becomes inoperative. This happens on sunny days so the sensor is not clogged with dirt/snow/rain. It will work for over 75 miles and then I will experience an issue. It will reset after a period of time/miles and work again. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the code was set in the system and reset /removed it and was unable to get it to set/fail again. I had it for about a week and experienced the problem again. Are there known issues with this system and how do I get it corrected?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't recall any posts about these problems. You can always use the Forum's 'Search' program to see if there are threads on this?
Also, please add the model (Sport) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Edit: did a quick search and found this thread on one of the issues to which I have moved yours.

Peter

My situation was the same with a 2013 Limited. The second time it failed and I took it to the dealer they replaced the sensor. I've had no issues with it since then.

Back