• Register Today It's free!

2011 Check Charging System

wdavis72

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer, V6, AWD
I’ve seen a lot of posts about this issue, but none include all I’ve done. So here I go …
First, wouldn’t start and figured out that the starter motor went out. I replaced it with no problem. But as soon as it started after I installed the new starter, I get the Check Charging System.
Problem: Check Charging System and battery light come. Radio and AC power on, but no sound through speakers, and AC compressor never engages.
I checked all the connections, fuses, battery terminals, but no change. I had the charging system checked and the battery, alternator, charging system, etc. all came back good.
I took it to the dealer and had them diagnose. They said they found a wiring short in the alternator harness and fixed, but the short tanked the alternator, so the check charging system light was still on. I bought and replaced alternator. No change.
Took it back to dealer, and they checked it again. They said the alternator was charging, but the part that tells the PCM that it’s charging was bad. So I returned alternator #2 for alternator #3 and replaced. Checked all connectors (replaced alternator connector), battery terminals, and I even did the “drain the elec system to reset the computer” task. Still no change.
I still get the Check Charging System message and the battery light still comes on.
Does anyone have any ideas for what I can try next?? I’m starting to go a little crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is the alternator you bought a Ford alternator? Some members have had issue with installing a non-Ford alternator.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is the alternator you bought a Ford alternator? Some members have had issue with installing a non-Ford alternator.

Peter
Peter, thanks for the question ...
No, they were not Ford alternators. I purchased both of the "new" ones from Auto Zone. I've never had issues with their parts before. However, I watched a YouTube video today and realized that may be the exact problem. The link to the video I watched is below. It's the closest I've found (problem wise) to my exact situation.

I am going to order a Ford alternator from oemford.parts after I take #3 back for a refund, and hopefully it will correct the issue.

Ford parts is the most expensive place to order from. You can get the same part from Levittown Ford Parts and/or AutoNation Ford or probably Tasca. Their prices are always much lower.
Levittown gives a discount to forum members as well. Coupon Codes for Forum Members

Peter

Ford parts is the most expensive place to order from. You can get the same part from Levittown Ford Parts and/or AutoNation Ford or probably Tasca. Their prices are always much lower.
Levittown gives a discount to forum members as well. Coupon Codes for Forum Members

Peter
Very awesome!! Thank you so much for the info. I hate being a newbie, but with your and everyone else’s help, that shouldn’t last too long.

Back