2012 Driver Door Handle Sticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Driver Door Handle Sticking

Reaction score
City, State
Laguna Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
have about 1800 miles on our Ex, but recently i started noticing that when we open the door, sometimes the handle does not close all the way, and just sticks half way open.

I am pretty sure i am gentle with the door, and My wife is even more precatious than i am. has this happened to any one else? and is there anything the dealer would be able to do about this?

Thanks!

oh we have the base so the handle is the black plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem here. Has been since 1 month old. 12' base mod. so it has the black plastic handle.

Mine too. Just on the drivers side (so far) I'm going to try to spray some Ballistol on it and see if that helps.

door handle

Not sure if this will help you but mine used to do this as well. Pull the handle open with the doors locked. There is a rubber gasket that is supposed to fit flush with the right side of the handle. Mine had gotten loose and rotated 90 degrees and thus was no longer flush. Once I put it back in place, the handle would close all the way again.

I had the same problem with my right rear passenger door handle. I took it to the dealer and they had to order some parts to fix it. The parts took 3-4weeks to get in because they were on back order. Once fixed I have not had any more issues.

Thanks for all the responses!

There is a rubber gasket that is supposed to fit flush with the right side of the handle. Mine had gotten loose and rotated 90 degrees and thus was no longer flush.

Going to try this in the morning, if it doesnt work ill head over to the dealer like XBR200 did.

thanks again.

have about 1800 miles on our Ex, but recently i started noticing that when we open the door, sometimes the handle does not close all the way, and just sticks half way open...
Same problem here. Has been since 1 month old. 12' base mod. so it has the black plastic handle.
Mine too. Just on the drivers side (so far) I'm going to try to spray some Ballistol on it and see if that helps.
MaynardMonster, toms2012, & Alex135,

Maybe that’s your Explorer’s way of saying “Drive me more!”. ;)

If you can’t see anything obstructing the door handle, like lucky mentioned, I suggest showing the dealer. Keep us in the loop with how it goes.

...There is a rubber gasket that is supposed to fit flush with the right side of the handle. Mine had gotten loose and rotated 90 degrees and thus was no longer flush. Once I put it back in place, the handle would close all the way again.
I had the same problem with my right rear passenger door handle. I took it to the dealer and they had to order some parts to fix it. The parts took 3-4weeks to get in because they were on back order. Once fixed I have not had any more issues.
lucky711 & XBR200,

Thanks for taking the time to post that; I’m glad you got it fixed. :)

Cory

Thanks for the reply cory.
I've been trying to recreate the problem at the dealer but, naturally, it magically cures itself any where near a dealer. So guess I just have to wait for it to get worse so I can take it in :/

Thanks for the reply cory.
I've been trying to recreate the problem at the dealer but, naturally, it magically cures itself any where near a dealer. So guess I just have to wait for it to get worse so I can take it in :/
You got it, Maynard. It sounds like it’s just got a case of stage fright. ;)

Cory

Back