2012 Ford Explorer XLT Front Suspension Clunking Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer XLT Front Suspension Clunking Noise

Hello everyone, I have a 4WD 2012 Explorer XLT with a 178,000 km (110,000 miles) on it. I have a very noticeable clunking noise coming from the bottom of my front end suspension on both sides. I looked at many threads in different forums, but really couldn't get the right answer/hint on how I should fix it.

The noise appears when driving over bumps and when the vehicle is rocking/tilting from one side to another on a uneven road.

What I have done so far was replacing the old suspension components on both left/right sides, including:
- Strut assembly with Mounts
- Sway Bars
- Stabilizer Link Bushings
- Complete Lower Control Arm assembly
- Inner Tie Rods
- Outer Tie Rods

All of the parts were brand NEW and from reputed brands. However, the clunking noise is still there, which is very frustrating.

Anyone with an idea on what the real issue is or tips about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My father-in-law had this problem too .2014 Ex really bad clunking noise from the front chassis area. He asked me to look at it. Upon just driving out of the driveway. application of the brakes caused aa loud clunking sound and the front end felt like it was buckling and bending at the chassis. An underneath inspection revealed nothing obvious at all. I suspected the struts even though it made no noise at all steering while standing still. His mechanic looked at it and said it was the lower control arm bushings. Replacement solved the issue. The vehicle had roughly 60,000 miles on it at the time. Now it has about 155,000 and that problem has not returned.

Back