2013 explorer: bad burning smell when heater is on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer: bad burning smell when heater is on.

MSUman

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 Explorer. Two days ago it started having a very strong burning smell when the heater is on. It can be smelled inside and outside of the car. The smell will go away when the heater is turned off. Could this be the heater core leaking? I know thats not a typical symptom but I read somewhere that someone had that problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A leaking heater core would most likely be a sweet smell, not a burning smell.

Having the heat on shouldn't have an effect on external smells. The only thing you change when you adjust the temperature is how much air is flowing past/through the heater core. If you have the heat on max temperature most(all?) of the air is directed through the heater core. If you have it full cold temp, no(little?) air is directed across the heater core. That should all be controlled behind the dashboard inside the vehicle.

Do you get the smell if the temperature is set to the minimum(with same fan setting)?

I have a 2013 Explorer. Two days ago it started having a very strong burning smell when the heater is on. It can be smelled inside and outside of the car. The smell will go away when the heater is turned off. Could this be the heater core leaking? I know thats not a typical symptom but I read somewhere that someone had that problem
When you turn the heater off does the outside smell go away inside AND outside? Have you tried running the A/C to see if you get the same smell? Just wondering if it could be the blower motor.

Peter

Yes, the smell goes away with the heater off. When the ac is on there is no smell.

I’m beginning to wonder if there could be leaves or debris in the air intake duct work somewhere. Could that be possible?

Yes, the smell goes away with the heater off. When the ac is on there is no smell.

I’m beginning to wonder if there could be leaves or debris in the air intake duct work somewhere. Could that be possible?
I suppose it is possible but if your getting a 'burning smell' the I would expect to see smoke if the cause was leaves.:eek:

I suppose it is possible but if your getting a 'burning smell' the I would expect to see smoke if the cause was leaves.:eek:

Yeah, youre probably right there. Didnt cross my mind. Back to the beginning then.

A leaking heater core would most likely be a sweet smell, not a burning smell.

Having the heat on shouldn't have an effect on external smells. The only thing you change when you adjust the temperature is how much air is flowing past/through the heater core. If you have the heat on max temperature most(all?) of the air is directed through the heater core. If you have it full cold temp, no(little?) air is directed across the heater core. That should all be controlled behind the dashboard inside the vehicle.

Do you get the smell if the temperature is set to the minimum(with same fan setting)?

No, there is so smell when the temp is set at minimum setting with same fan speed.

You could have something on the heater core that is causing the smell, but I think it would have to get through the cabin filter first. Check out your cabin filter to see if it's damaged. Maybe some liquid got on the cabin filter and dripped through to the heater core? Just throwing out ideas.

You could have something on the heater core that is causing the smell, but I think it would have to get through the cabin filter first. Check out your cabin filter to see if it's damaged. Maybe some liquid got on the cabin filter and dripped through to the heater core? Just throwing out ideas.

Thanks, I checked the cabin filter yesterday and it was fine. So the heater core is down stream of the heater core?

What kind of burning smell? Oil burning? Or something else? There are a number of possibilities, but without knowing whether we're talking about oil, plastic, wiring, or something organic, it's hard to say where to start. Whatever it is, it's got to be sitting on or near the heater core. Nothing else makes sense.

I found a dead field mouse on the passenger side foot well in one of my previous vehicles that was parked in the garage. Have no idea how it got inside the vehicle but I guess they don't need much of an opening. Hope you're not roasting one of them.

Peter

What kind of burning smell? Oil burning? Or something else? There are a number of possibilities, but without knowing whether we're talking about oil, plastic, wiring, or something organic, it's hard to say where to start. Whatever it is, it's got to be sitting on or near the heater core. Nothing else makes sense.

When it was at its strongest smell, it was more of a leaf burning smell. Its sorta toned down now though, dont understand it.

I found a dead field mouse on the passenger side foot well in one of my previous vehicles that was parked in the garage. Have no idea how it got inside the vehicle but I guess they don't need much of an opening. Hope you're not roasting one of them.

Peter

Thats what I was afraid of.

When it was at its strongest smell, it was more of a leaf burning smell. Its sorta toned down now though, dont understand it.

Well, if it was actually leaves stuck somewhere that were burning off, then it would make sense that's it's going away as they burn away.

Back