2013 Explorer Dash and radio stall? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Dash and radio stall?

2013foexplo

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
First time poster. I bought an explorer with 180k miles on it about 4 months ago. Within the last few weeks its started to do this weird thing where the dash powers down and flashes all the cluster's lights but the vehicle still drives fine most of the time. Sometimes when it does this "power down" the steering tightens up a little and the radio will shut off, but this rarely happens. Normally its just the dash though. I attached a video of it happening, it happens at takeoff and at highway speeds out of the blue and I haven't been able to pin it down to anything, since the battery is new and the terminals have no corrosion. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to using the forum :)

Check the fuses for the cluster.
Usually fuses pop, but maybe it didn't fully pop and has an intermittent connection.

I would get a load test done on your alternator. When the alternator starts to go it can make for all sorts of weird electrical gremlins

First time poster. I bought an explorer with 180k miles on it about 4 months ago. Within the last few weeks its started to do this weird thing where the dash powers down and flashes all the cluster's lights but the vehicle still drives fine most of the time. Sometimes when it does this "power down" the steering tightens up a little and the radio will shut off, but this rarely happens. Normally its just the dash though. I attached a video of it happening, it happens at takeoff and at highway speeds out of the blue and I haven't been able to pin it down to anything, since the battery is new and the terminals have no corrosion. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to using the forum :)
Have you checked that battery? A low/bad battery can cause the dash lights to light up. Also, check to see if a trouble code was posted.

Peter

Back