• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer dash cam install

NathanM

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
ive done the search and read many thread but none seem to answer my question i have a 2013 explorer limited and need to hardwire my blackvue dash cam to either a switched power source wire or fuse. now im a big guy and hoping i dont have to try an access the fuse box. i read a post where a guy used a switch wire in the a pillar in his 2017 but is the wiring the same as in the 2013? if i have to use the fuse box i read there are a few unused switched fuses but does not say which ones. if i have to use the fuse location id rather use one that is not already powering something in the vehicle. and while im at it i will make a bit of a rant. WHAT THE HELL FORD?? why put the fuse panel there? so yea nay help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Nathan.:wave:
There are several threads about wiring dashcams and/or radar detectors so I'm not sure which ones you checked out.
Did you read the thread about wiring it to the wires in the 'A' pillar? There is also;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-ford-explorer-2011-2017.452075/#post-3624432
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-explorer-for-radar-detector-dash-cam.449265/
The location of the cabin fuse box has been a point of discussion since day 1.

Peter
yep i read the one about the red acc wire in the a pillar but was not sure if the wires in a 13 would be the same as the 17 as there may be newer electronics in the 17. the mirror tap is not an option for me as the battery pack ( https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/products/cellink-battery-b?variant=27938936336 ) will be under the seat as i dont want to run a wire down to it and then another back up to the cam. i was hoping someone may know off hand which one of the fuses were switched or if one of the unused ones were. i just bought the explorer last month and not to familiar with then yet. last one i owned was a 92 and it was a lot simpler then. lol if the red wire in the a pillar is the same in the 13 as the 17 i may tap into that

Good call on the wiring. I thought of that after posting. I believe it does differ in some years/trims. It seems to me that I read that a member did find an unused fuse for a hookup but I haven't checked to see if I could find it using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. Might give it a go when I have a bit more time.

Peter

Good call on the wiring. I thought of that after posting. I believe it does differ in some years/trims. It seems to me that I read that a member did find an unused fuse for a hookup but I haven't checked to see if I could find it using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. Might give it a go when I have a bit more time.

Peter
i read almost every post that showed up in the search but some members mentioned they did find an unused switched fuse but never said which one and people asked them which one but they never responded or said anything after that. i guess i will have to remove the drivers seat and try and get under the dash with my tester. when and if i find it i will update and maybe someone can make it a sticky. its always good to have a switched or constant unused fuse to put an add a fuse in.

In mine, if it helps... on the BCM I tapped (add-a-fuse) on the following circuits:

Switched power: RCM
Always On: APIM.

Good luck. Those should be easily identifiable numbers in the owner's manual.

In mine, if it helps... on the BCM I tapped (add-a-fuse) on the following circuits:

Switched power: RCM
Always On: APIM.

Good luck. Those should be easily identifiable numbers in the owner's manual.
looks like the rcm (restraint control module) is fuse 37 so ill give that a shot this week coming and update the results. thanks for the info

No problem. It's really hard to find switched power in this car for some reason. More fuses than not are always hot.

Another suggestion for the fuse:

On my explorer I have my dashcam hooked up to the Heated Steering Wheel fuse. I don't have that option in my car, but it still gets power only when the car is on. Probably safer than tapping RCM fuse. Though, I'm not sure if all explorers have that fuse even if you don't have the Heated steering wheel.

On my explorer I have my dashcam hooked up to the Heated Steering Wheel fuse. I don't have that option in my car, but it still gets power only when the car is on. Probably safer than tapping RCM fuse. Though, I'm not sure if all explorers have that fuse even if you don't have the Heated steering wheel.
That would be fuse #36 in the Cabin Fuse panel. Same number for the 2013 and 2014.

Peter

yea maybe ill tap into that one instead of messing with the rcm which controls the airbags. even thou i have heated steering wheel i doubt i will ever use it as it dont get cold enough in vancouver to need one and if the fuse blows i can live with out the heated steering wheel. thanks for the info.

If heated is switched, DEFINITELY do that. While the circuits are separately fused, I did have a strange instance where the entire add-a-fuse assembly failed knocking down both circuits.

have not attempted to install it yet but will update when i do. btw what type of fuses do the explorers take. low profile, mini, or normal fuses?

have not attempted to install it yet but will update when i do. btw what type of fuses do the explorers take. low profile, mini, or normal fuses?

The fuse types are listed in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

The fuse types are listed in your Owner's Manual.

Peter
bought the explorer used, no owners manual. downloading one now. one site said it took mini and another said ATO (standard) fuse.

welli just read the OM and it says mini and standard so i guess its 50/50 lol im going to roll the dice and go with standard.

bought the explorer used, no owners manual. downloading one now. one site said it took mini and another said ATO (standard) fuse.
I have all 7 model year Manuals saved on my computer for easy reference. Much easier finding things than in the Manual. Perhaps someone can provide a more definitive answer to your question. Good luck.

Peter

<removing content, previous comment here had incorrect information>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update. the owners manual i have for the 13 explorer is wrong. it says mini and standard fuses. but i found out my 13 explorer all the fuses under the dash are min low profile which is not a problem but the low profile fuse taps will not fit in the fuse slot so i am going to have to try a mini fuse tap to see if that works. and fuse 36 (heated steering wheel) is switched and the blade slot on the left side is the hot side. its important you install the tap correctly or the fuse will not blow if something goes wrong.

Back