2013 Explorer engine sputter when the hvac blower is on high. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer engine sputter when the hvac blower is on high.

Jimskrinar

Reaction score
City, State
Drumright, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. I just picked up a 2013 Explorer XLT that has several HVAC issues, the most pressing though is when then the blower is on high with the AC engaged, either in AC or defrost, it causes a random sputter and it actually died once today. It doesn’t always do it and I can’t cause it intentionally. When it died today, I was actually in the shop and the AC compressor spins by hand and feels like it should. Where do I start on this?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe a similar issue has been posted. On my vehicles I've noticed that engaging the HVAC system results in a negligible drop in RPMs. It would likely be that the higher blower speed would result in a higher power draw that the system is unable to keep up with. Have you checked the battery or alternator? I wouldn't think it was a fuel starvation issue. Did you get any kind of warranty when you bought it?

Peter

Thanks Peter.
I’m thinking current draw as well. 14.2 volts at the alternator at idle. No warranty, bought from an individual with 87k miles on it. I have a new blend door actuator coming to fix the only other issue I’ve discovered so far.

Back