• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Mirror

vietnamvet

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FORD EXPLORER XLT
Broke the passenger mirror on vehicle. I received another mirror from a friend. I installed it however, the mirror originally had puddle, heat, cross traffic, spot but new one has the small mirror on the top right corner. I still have the old glass part of the mirror and wonder if I can change the glass and get the cross traffic and spot function back. If not, what do I need to do??

Disregard!! Interesting but I found the answer. The mirror assembly that I received had a small side mirror and the mirror glass was heated. The old mirror that I took off had two additional functions, i.e. cross traffic and the blind spot option. I took the interior over off, which I had already done to reinstall new mirror I looked at the vehicle side electrical male plug and the mirror female plug. Needless to say the pin arrangement is almost the same, I repeat almost, there was one additional pin used for the mirror that came with the mirror assembly.

From that point, the solution was simple. If you change the mirror assembly and it is not identical, partial disassembly is required to change the wiring harness in the mirror if you are going to use the old/same mirror configuration. Basically, the mirror and its functions must match not only the vehicle but it must also match the wiring harness.

I do wish my fingers were smaller however. Getting the mirror to release from the motor is a PITA. Hope this helps someone else who has the same problem.

Back