2013 Explorer Sport "ticking" sound when turning wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport "ticking" sound when turning wheels?

steve04KU

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I first started hearing a ticking sound a few months ago when going around corners in my work parking garage. It sounds like a rock was stuck in the tire treads. But after searching for one and not finding any, I'm convinced it's something else. It's a very annoying sound. Turn left or turn right. Doesn't matter. The frequency of the tick is about 1 every tire rotation. Is it something with the brakes????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you find out let me know. My '07 Eddie Bauer has done that since Day 1. At this point it must be harmless but it has survived three sets of tires, several wheel alignments and many balancings.

I first started hearing a ticking sound a few months ago when going around corners in my work parking garage. It sounds like a rock was stuck in the tire treads. But after searching for one and not finding any, I'm convinced it's something else...

This sounds like a good puzzle for your dealer to solve, steve04KU. Have them check it out and let us know what they say. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

7500 miles

I jacked up my wife's Ex and turned the wheels to see if our ticking was coming from only one wheel. I turns out that the ticking doesn't happen when there is no weight on the wheel. I've put it in neutral with the engine off and pushed it. Yeap, it ticks.

It's a little embarrasing when driving slowly past the neighborhood kids playing on the street but it's been benign so far... :)

Still fairly certain that it's not a CV joint. It just sounds "different". I always notice it the worst when arriving or leaving my work parking garage. Perhaps there's an echo off the concrete whenever I go around the turns in the garage. That's where I notice it most, and you don't hear it until you turn the steering wheels at least 1/2 turn. The frequency of the tick is 1 tick per tire revolution. You'd swear the sound was a rock or a metallic object in the tire, but I just cannot find one. It has to be something else.

This morning, while sitting in my parking spot i turned the wheels left and right and couldn't reproduce the tick. I also don't hear it when going STRAIGHT.

I've scheduled a service appointment on Monday. The car has 7900 miles on it and it's a lease, so it will be covered.

I first started hearing a ticking sound a few months ago when going around corners in my work parking garage. It sounds like a rock was stuck in the tire treads. But after searching for one and not finding any, I'm convinced it's something else. It's a very annoying sound. Turn left or turn right. Doesn't matter. The frequency of the tick is about 1 every tire rotation. Is it something with the brakes????

Maybe you've seen this already.

2013 Ford Explorer Wheels Service Bulletin 364235
NHTSA: Action Number: 10052787 Service Bulletin Number: 364235

Report Date:
May 13, 2013Component:
Wheels
Summary: Ford/lincoln: on some vehicles, when accelerating from stop or shifting between drive/reverse and/or reverse/drive, a noise is heard like pop, ting, click, coming from front wheel area. Models 2011-2013 taurus, explorer, flex, mks, mkt.

They troubleshooted the car to death. turned out to be a loose lug nut. Lol!

My 2003 explorer clicked when I turned sometimes for a long time until I got my rotors and pads replaced. :shrug:

Back