2013 XLT headlights only lasting about a year | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT headlights only lasting about a year

Duke33_RI

Reaction score
City, State
Wakefield, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer XLT
After purchasing our 2013, I did not notice replacing the headlight bulbs for first couple of years. Over the past three years, the dealer replaced them twice, and I replaced them last summer with non-Ford light bulbs.

With another one out now, I’m getting frustrated. This is not our only issue with this Explorer. The backup camera goes in and out frequently. The front hood has paint bubbling up. I’ve seen threads on those.

Is this a common problem? Or the start of a greater issue?

Driving habitats to consider:
When I drive I drive with the headlights on. Though I rarely drive these days. Since January my daughter has driven the family everywhere.

It’s my wife’s car and she runs with the lights off using the DRLs.

Duke33_RI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your first sentence is a bit difficult to understand. Also, I'm guessing you are referring to the headlight bulbs and not the headlight itself. If so, then, NO, it is not a common issue. If you drive with them ON all the time, that would add to a shorter lifespan for the bulbs. Why not have the dealer activate the Daytime Running Light (DRL) feature using their IDS tool? That will put the headlights ON but at a lower power.

Peter

Your first sentence is a bit difficult to understand. Also, I'm guessing you are referring to the headlight bulbs and not the headlight itself. If so, then, NO, it is not a common issue. If you drive with them ON all the time, that would add to a shorter lifespan for the bulbs. Why not have the dealer activate the Daytime Running Light (DRL) feature using their IDS tool? That will put the headlights ON but at a lower power.

Peter
Thanks for pointing out that my thread was unreadable. Hopefully it's readable now, and yes I meant the bulbs. I run with the lights on as it's a habit. Every time I get in the car, I turn them on, and every time I get out I turn them off. This way I know that I did not leave them on. With as little as I've driven her car the last 6 months, I would not expect the bulbs to have burnt out already. If my wife, my daughter and I all ran with the lights on all the time, then I would agree that 1 year would be right.

My car is VW Jetta TDI 06 and I run with those lights on all the time, and put a great deal of miles on that car each year. I've gone 4 years without changing those headlight bulbs. This is what lead me to believe there is something wrong with the headlight.

Some of the PIUs had issues early on with bulbs blowing prematurely but I don't think this ever extended to the Civilian models.

If they're flat out burning out in short order, are you making sure not to touch the glass when you install the new bulbs?

If you want to skip the dealer, FORSCAN can also turn on the DRLs, and on your year most likely actually put on the DRLs to the parking lamps instead (turn signal filament full bright/steady burn) if you prefer. I think the orange is more noticeable myself.

Some of the PIUs had issues early on with bulbs blowing prematurely but I don't think this ever extended to the Civilian models.

If they're flat out burning out in short order, are you making sure not to touch the glass when you install the new bulbs?

If you want to skip the dealer, FORSCAN can also turn on the DRLs, and on your year most likely actually put on the DRLs to the parking lamps instead (turn signal filament full bright/steady burn) if you prefer. I think the orange is more noticeable myself.
I am making sure not to touch the bulb when installing them. Interesting idea about the DLRs to the parking lamps.

I had the steady burn orange DRLs on my 14 Taurus, and it was one of my favorite party tricks to implement within the BCM.

It was a feature intended to give HID equipped vehicles a DRL, since PWM to the low beams would prove problematic on a HID setup. BCM didn't really care whether the car had HID or not, though.

Back