2014 Exhaust Fumes in me? A different exhaust question for people | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Exhaust Fumes in me? A different exhaust question for people

bburzycki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So I am fully aware of the explorer issues with exhaust fumes in the vehicle and I am fully aware of the plan to fix the issues in the vehicle. That all said I need to see if anyone else has had a slightly more bizarre thing happen to them or something you might have noticed.

I have had 2 fixes done on my vehicle, both were before the latest fix my vehicle will be going in for in the next few days. 2014 Explorer Sport.

What I am trying to find out about is if anyone has experienced lingering exhaust fumes or smell of exhaust after you leave the vehicle. IE: Sitting around your home at night, after driving for a couple hours, and you smell strange exhaust fumes or the smells come and go. Thus this smell is coming from you. I have torn my home apart thinking this was somehow related to my HVAC system and now I am tracking it back to possible ongoing exposure to this in the car as it's really the only other place I could think would cause this and the only other place I spend any time.

Curious about if anyone else has ever experienced this type of issue.

I have run a CO meter in the vehicle and it will see levels of 1-8ppm of CO but it is very variable and never very constant. That level is very low but 2-3 years of exposure to that might have added up finally. Or it is just in my clothes and might be much more of an annoyance than anything else.

The strange part about this is I do have symptoms that are very hard to explain without it being linked back to some kind of low level exposure to something, minor flu like symptoms, headaches (mild), minor breathing problems, and achy muscles etc.. Be that from the vehicle or some other source.

All I am really looking for is anyone else that might or might not have this same type of experience.

Thanks

No, I have not. But the answer for you seems to be, park your car somewhere away from the house and don't go near it for a few days. Drive another car or get a rental.

If the strange smell does not re-occur, then *maybe* it is from your Sport.

It will be in the shop for the non recall recall - that will take several days - that will be my test.

Back