• Register Today It's free!

2014 Factory Roof Rack noisy

John Daw

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Hello, my 2014 XLT factory roof rack is creaking all the times with bumps, etc. It looks like there are 3 mounting points to the body for each roof rail. The middle one on the driver side is making the noise. The passenger side mount is solid. I can move the driver side middle one, above the rear door, and re-produce the noise. I have pulled the door pillar and the headliner down a bit, and I cannot see any nuts or mounting points, but there is also airbags and ventilation ducts going thru that area.

I also cannot find an diagrams for how the rack actually mounts to the roof. Does anybody have this? Or can someone tell me how to access the area where I can tighten this up?

TIA,

JD

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
Sorry that I can't help with the issue but I believe there are a couple members here that have the Technical Manuals. Perhaps they can chime in.
Have you checked for water leaks? In particular the spare tire well. Many of the water leak issues were because of the roof rack mounting points. Just a precaution.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. No water leaks, my dealer was checking every time I took it in for an oil change. (which my dealer did complimentary for the first 2 yrs) I just did find some info on how the rails are mounted. They are all bolted on from the top. No need to drop the headliner. The center mount is not even attached with a screw, it just slides into a slot. So I will be taking it apart to see how and why this is so noisy.

I had this problem and I took felt tape and placed it under the plastic "feet" and it fixed it. Felt side to to the bottom.

You have to pry up the caps on he ends of the racks then you will see then either 8 or 10 mm screws. After they are removed I think the racks slide forward about an inch and then you pull them up.

Back