• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer not starting

serenaray

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Limite
I started issues about a month ago with my Explorer not wanting to start. I try start it and it doesn't even sound like it tries to turn over. It immediately lights up the check engine, brake system, and stabilitrac icons on the dashboard. My 911 assist will also turn off (but not always). I have to turn it off and open the door numerous times for it to start. There isn't a pattern to when it will start and when it won't. Sometimes i won't have a issue for a day then nothing but issus everytime or every other time.. We checked the fuses and wiggled them around. I figured it would be computer module related since 911 assist turns off. Has anyone had this issue? I don't have the money to take it in right this second so we are trying anything that we can do at home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the battery tested? I think that should be the first step before going forward.

Peter

I'm having similar issues in a 2013 XLT. In December it appeared that my battery had failed, I pulled it, trickle charged it, and it was fine for about 2 days. MySync display screen put up a message saying "turning off system to save battery" as if something was draining it. I checked everything but couldn't find a parasitic draw for the battery. Got the battery replaced as it was still under warranty from O'Reilly. That seemed to fix the issues until today. Started the vehicle to check something then powered off. Went to restart it 20 minutes later, and "CLICK" everything dead. No dome light, no horn, nada. I disconnected the battery and checked with a meter - full power as expected. Reconnected it and everything came back on. Went to start and "CLICK" lights out - as if shorted. Repeated the disconnect and went to start - same result. Now here's the weird part. 15 seconds after taking out the key, the starter turned once, the dash lights came on, and it chimed. - as if a delayed power release - with NO key in the ignition. Put the key in and it started fine. Checked several more times, no issues. Thinking this may be a capacitor or a circuit in the alternator that was grounding? Circuits to check? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
These intermittent ones are the most challenging types of problems to pinpoint. How long did the replacement battery survive before the issues began again?

Peter

Thanks Peter! The first week of December, replacement - so about a month and a week. It's been sitting unused in the garage for 99% of that time. Also of note, it seems fine now and restarts without incident. No slow crank or hesitation. FYI - it's a Factory OEM Motorcraft battery - BXT65-850.

Thanks Peter! The first week of December, replacement - so about a month and a week. It's been sitting unused in the garage for 99% of that time. Also of note, it seems fine now and restarts without incident. No slow crank or hesitation. FYI - it's a Factory OEM Motorcraft battery - BXT65-850.
Just had an Acdelco go bad after 9 months (on the car we drive more). It was tested and determined to be bad..duds happen

If not used much it could be toast. Need to be on trickle or driven weekly for a while.

Well, it's the factory original alternator, so I guess getting 97k out of it isn't bad. Just a royal pain in the ass to replace that on the 3.5L v6. Any advice on aftermarket brands preferred or to avoid for alternators? As I'm looking to sell it I'm not keen on a full priced Motorcraft OEM. Thanks for the responses!

Well, it's the factory original alternator, so I guess getting 97k out of it isn't bad. Just a royal pain in the ass to replace that on the 3.5L v6. Any advice on aftermarket brands preferred or to avoid for alternators? As I'm looking to sell it I'm not keen on a full priced Motorcraft OEM. Thanks for the responses!
Get it checked out first. I wouldn't throw parts at it yet....

Agreed. I was also thinking of the possibility of corrosion or faults in the fusible links.

Sitting around unused can be an issue with these Explorers. There is always a low drain on the battery to get some of the memory circuits alive. It's not unusual for mine to be in the garage for up to 5 days. The when I need to get groceries I take a long way around substituting a 20 minute drive for a <5 minute drive.

Peter

Took Explorer to dealership three times now. They have had one of the issues happen to them once but couldn't replicate it so still having the issue. Is anyone having this issue? The other issue posted above is not the same as mine.

Back