2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride..

That is the rotation number of the vehicle. Wheels are marked so the operator at the plant doesn't get mixed up when throwing the wheels on the line. I did that job for 2 years

I remember watching that at the plant. So the 57 on the rims would also show up on the vehicle?.....so the guy doing your old job would match the two up?

I remember seeing that sheet of white paper hanging on the front of the vehicle with numbers all over it. I guessed that told the guys on the line what options go into each vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else having this issue? On delivery, our new truck had all 4 wheels pre-scratched up like this from the factory. :(

That along with a long list of other cosmetic issues has made for a very very disappointing experience with this go round.

I just picked up our 2014 sport yesterday and noticed that on our rims there is a black smudge around the outside part of the rim like others have talked about. We have our rims off as we have winter rims/ tires on. I took them inside and attempted to clean the smudges off with Goo Gone and it worked like a charm! It's a bit tedious but it removes that black film with ease.

Pete

Just want to add that we have no scratches. It's purely some black smudge looking substance.

Just want to add that we have no scratches. It's purely some black smudge looking substance.

I wish we had been so lucky. Hopefully Ford has addressed the issue with the transport wheel covers causing scratches on the Sport rims... My dealership tried in house to clean them with no luck at all. They even had one of those wheel repair guys come take a look and he wouldn't touch them.

Since they were unfixable, Ford is sending the dealership four new wheels...

Ajar

You had me all paranoid, so I inspected all of the wheels when we took delivery. All I found was some magic marker like residue of some number that had been written on one of the wheels. The salesman looked at me like I was crazy, so I mentioned the thread on here. FWIW, he said he'd never seen/heard of any problems like this in any of the cars his dealership have received, but he said he'd spread the word around about it. As he put it: "he'd rather that they find the problems before the customers see them".

Your salesman sounds like a good guy.... I believe the issue has only been observed on the Sport wheels. After discovering my Sport had the scratched wheel issue on delivery, my salesman checked the other 2 Sports on the lot and they both had damaged wheels as well.

Ford seems to have acted very quickly on this. The service manager was able to get a set of replacement wheels ordered without much trouble. They said they had never seen Ford replace an entire set of wheels and did not expect them to do so very easily. Hopefully when they come in they will be scratch free! :)

Ajar

You had me all paranoid, so I inspected all of the wheels when we took delivery. All I found was some magic marker like residue of some number that had been written on one of the wheels. The salesman looked at me like I was crazy, so I mentioned the thread on here. FWIW, he said he'd never seen/heard of any problems like this in any of the cars his dealership have received, but he said he'd spread the word around about it. As he put it: "he'd rather that they find the problems before the customers see them".

Took delivery of our Ex Sport Nov 9 sent a copy of this thread to my dealer so he can inspect the wheels carefully before delivery guess what two of my wheels were damaged most likelly by the plastic covers. My dealer is sending pictures to Ford for evaluation, waiting for their answer soon. I don't know what is the root cause of this problem but it is an expensive overlook from Ford and it doesn't seem to be an exception... Buy the way love my Ex up 1000Km done yet

My 3day old vehicle wheels look fine, they are polished Aluminum 20 inchers.

I was checking the scratches on my wheels today and trying to polish most of them out when I noticed the rear passenger SPORT rim had different SPORT font on the wheel.

I was checking the scratches on my wheels today and trying to polish most of them out when I noticed the rear passenger SPORT rim had different SPORT font on the wheel.

That's bizarre! Our '13 sport looks like the second, "bigger font" picture...

I wonder if that means there is another owner 'out there' with a similar issue but with just the one font in 'bold'?

Peter

Which one is lighter, tho??? Unsprung weight and all...:)

Not even font, they are completely different rims. Similar design but look at the wideness of the top openings - way different

Not even font, they are completely different rims. Similar design but look at the wideness of the top openings - way different
That is what it looks like but the pictures are also not taken from exactly the same angle so it might just look that way. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Peter

Your right I never saw that until you mentioned it.

Lets hope I get three new ones ASAP.

I just went online and checked all the Ford promo photo's of the Explorer SPORT wheels and the thicker font is all I see.

Im wondering would those be for an Edge Sport?......but the Edge is not built at Chicago Assembly, its built in Ontario.

I just went online and checked all the Ford promo photo's of the Explorer SPORT wheels and the thicker font is all I see.

Im wondering would those be for an Edge Sport?......but the Edge is not built at Chicago Assembly, its built in Ontario.

Edge Sport wheels are 22'' not 20''.

It looks like the thinner font is a manufacturing defect... All the font elements are there. The SPORT didn't get stamped (or machined) all the way... Then when the silver part gets machined, the SPORT got machined off more-since it wasn't as deep as it should have been...

Should be an easy warranty replacement....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That makes more sense........works out good because the three that are thin font are the ones that got the shipping cover scratches.

Back