2015 Catastrophic oil failure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Catastrophic oil failure

He said it happened very suddenly and he pulled off at the next exit less than a quarter mile away. He said there had been no oil underneath the car the morning he started it up so we're pretty sure he lost all 4.7 quarts on that short stretch of highway.

I think asking for an extended warranty is a good idea I hadn't thought of, may not hurt to see what the dealership offers.

It's not the dealership that needs to offer it, it is Ford. Your dealer will not cough up a free warranty for you out of their pocket. You need to escalate this to Ford Customer Service and request a warranty extension on the powertrain and express your concerns of possible internal damage. Since they didn't do a tear down, they don't know what has happened besides the "it sounds normal" response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently he had a tow package installed when he bought it which appears to include an engine oil cooler and one of the clamps on the cooler line failed.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, he had an aftermarket tow package / oil cooler installed by the dealer or 3rd party, not factory?

If this is the case, then I'm not sure where the angst over warranty is. If this is the case, then it is an issue with the dealer or 3rd party.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, he had an aftermarket tow package / oil cooler installed by the dealer or 3rd party, not factory?

If this is the case, then I'm not sure where the angst over warranty is. If this is the case, then it is an issue with the dealer or 3rd party.

That's the big question. Was it factory order tow package(which includes oil cooler from what I've read), or an aftermarket version?

I originally thought this was BS, but now I’m not so sure. If he does have the tow package with a remote oil cooler(does the tow package include that?), I could see one of the lines possibly coming off(if they are held on by clamps). Similar to the Ecoboost with the turbo piping coming off. Maybe one of the clamps wasn’t tight enough and finally slipped off. It could purge the system of oil in a short amount of time if that happened.

If this is true, it sounds like a one-off issue not widespread. Maybe check your clamps?

I'm pretty sure it was just a one-off. Still kind of disconcerting.

It's not the dealership that needs to offer it, it is Ford. Your dealer will not cough up a free warranty for you out of their pocket. You need to escalate this to Ford Customer Service and request a warranty extension on the powertrain and express your concerns of possible internal damage. Since they didn't do a tear down, they don't know what has happened besides the "it sounds normal" response.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the advice. I will pass it on to my father.

I believe he ordered it from the factory through the dealership with the tow package. I'm not certain on the details though.

That's the big question. Was it factory order tow package(which includes oil cooler from what I've read), or an aftermarket version?

I'm fairly sure it came from the factory with the tow package, but I could be wrong.

I believe he ordered it from the factory through the dealership with the tow package. I'm not certain on the details though.
It's easy enough to find out if the tow package was factory installed. Just plug the VIN into ETIS and it will show you everything it came with.
http://www.etis.ford.com/

Peter

Back