2015 Explorer PIU Suspension Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer PIU Suspension Noise

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
My 2015 Explorer Interceptor Ecoboost has started to make a hollow sounding thud going over sudden bumps in the road, mostly on the drivers side. I did a quick check of the sway bar links and pried on the bushings, but everything seemed tight. I can see in the rear lower control arm bushings that they are made to have some slop in them, but the rubber does not appear to be cracked. I also don't feel it in the floor board, though at first I suspected the rear bushing.

My hunch is the strut bearings are going bad. The vehicle has 33k miles on it. If I replace the strut bearings, would you guys replace the struts at the same time? I don't know how long the PIU struts tend to last, but my vehicle was never in service. I'll buy the latest revision strut bearings from Ford, since I know they came out with a newer version recently.

I'm going to do the work myself and then take it in for an alignment. I'm tempted to swap the lower control arms as well. Can we upgrade to the 2017 parts, to get the fixed rear lower control arm bushing? Has anyone did this yet? Adds up a bit, because you have to replace all of the fasteners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not have it done under your warranty?

Peter

It's not under bumper to bumper warranty. The 3 year warranty expired in April.

Did you get this fixed? i have the same issue, i have a 2012 xlt fwd....

I have not. The noise is pretty minor at this point. I suspect it's the upper strut mount/bearing that's causing the noise. It has that hollow sounding thud which reminds me of bad strut mounts in the past.

If you replace, get the newest version of the strut mount. There's a thread on here with part numbers of the updated design.

I have not. The noise is pretty minor at this point. I suspect it's the upper strut mount/bearing that's causing the noise. It has that hollow sounding thud which reminds me of bad strut mounts in the past.

If you replace, get the newest version of the strut mount. There's a thread on here with part numbers of the updated design.
I replaced the passenger side strut mount that was related to the bing/pong sound when you center the steering wheel. sounded like a thud or a small pinging sound. You can find it on youtube outlining the issue. The thud which seems to come from the drivers side has been around for a while. Makes the car feel cheap. it was recommend on that video that both of the struts should be replace although the passenger side seems to give people the other problem more. Now that I know how to do my own struts, I want to look of at the prospects of upgrading shocks and mount assembly. Have you gave that any thought, if so what would you go with?

Front suspension / clunk problem

my front lower rear control arm bushings made a knocking noise over sharp speed bumps etc at low speed. They almost looked brand new but they were very soft and the deflection over bumps allowed the control arm bushing tabs to whack its own shell. The upper strut mounts in mine also had soft rubber allowing them to bottom out over sharp bumps.

I have the 2014 limited and I would like to see the part number for those struts, mine is awd. thanks

Back