2015 Explorer sport , 101K miles water pump ... should I do timing chain too ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer sport , 101K miles water pump ... should I do timing chain too ?

Maybe I’m just skeptical of “lifetime” warranties, but I’d put my money on them arguing the timing chain failing was the result of wear and tear of the chain stretching etc.(especially if they vehicle had high mileage). They would be quick to debate the difference between mechanical failure and wear and tear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I’m just skeptical of “lifetime” warranties, but I’d put my money on them arguing the timing chain failing was the result of wear and tear of the chain stretching etc.(especially if they vehicle had high mileage). They would be quick to debate the difference between mechanical failure and wear and tear.
Ford does not consider it a wear item , it is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine.

These dealer "lifetime warranties" probably work for them due to the fact that people only keep their new cars for 5-6 years only to trade them in . That's what happens here quite a bit in Northern VA .

Ford does not consider it a wear item , it is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine.

These dealer "lifetime warranties" probably work for them due to the fact that people only keep their new cars for 5-6 years only to trade them in . That's what happens here quite a bit in Northern VA .
It works for them because no body follows the dealer maintenance schedule. If you paid for all the dealer maintenance in the book it’d cost you a lot more than the warranty would have.

It works for them because no body follows the dealer maintenance schedule. If you paid for all the dealer maintenance in the book it’d cost you a lot more than the warranty would have.

Not really , just oil change every 7500/6mo , Did coolant at 95K , don't remember anything else . We also got a deal on EMP ( Maintenance plan) pre paid for 5 years I got them to do brakes twice :) , plus drive belt , and a few other things.

In the 3-4 years that I have mine, it is mostly just regular maintenance, oil changes etc. By then it will have amassed a total of around 7500 miles. :D

Peter

Not really , just oil change every 7500/6mo , Did coolant at 95K , don't remember anything else . We also got a deal on EMP ( Maintenance plan) pre paid for 5 years I got them to do brakes twice :) , plus drive belt , and a few other things.
The book maintenance over 100k is a lot more than just oil changes. And, for most of these warranties the dealer needs to do the service.

When my dad bought his 89 Jeep Cherokee, the dealer talked him into a bumper to bumper warranty. I remember him arguing on the phone with someone cause they denied all his warranty claims, he said to the person, it is a bumper to bumper warranty, I guess the only thing you warranty is the bumpers cause you don't cover anything between them, give me my money back. Now when it breaks, I know who is going to pay to fix it.

So basically they want the engine to explode rather than replace the part that is failing first... Seems logical
See, that’s the kind of crap that ends up on Reddit for everyone to know and say “What da fuq?” And sometimes it’s ends up on other media outlet. With Ford not looking good in today’s headline, could be problem solved. In 87, I bought a brand new XR7 that turned out to be a lemon. Dealership was being a total ass about fixing things, and what it took was some magnetic material cut in the shape of lemons spray painted yellow (stands out real well on a black paint jo) with the dealership name on them, take a cruise or 2 through the parking lot when customers are out looking for a new vehicle and you get the required attention real fast.

Yeah, I can be an ass, but what do you expect from a 67YO retired Green Beret?

I would do it if I frequented Reddit, which I don’t, just sayin.

I think most people know the dealer is going to fleece them. These kind of warranty programs are just there word against yours and most often than not they win by exploiting warranty work. This is a textbook example of that.

It reminds me of how dental insurance usually doesn't cover tooth extraction or crowns etc as they classify that as "surgery" etc... Its all about screwing the consumer

The thing about insurance in general is, it goes away when you need it most.

Still waiting on "approval" for them to fix it under the warranty .... fun fun .

The 2020 Escape Titanium loaner is nice at least .

Still waiting on "approval" for them to fix it under the warranty .... fun fun .

The 2020 Escape Titanium loaner is nice at least .
I just had my wife’s 17 Limited (3.5not ecoboost) water pump changed at 54,500 miles. Timing chain/guides are all part of a kit from Ford. I was 4 months out of the drivetrain warranty. Dealer quoted me $1800-2000. Ford chipped in and I had to pay $650. Service writer said this is very common with this engine

Update : About a week ago the fix was approved . I am not paying anything for the fix.
Bad news : I should have the car back by "end of the month"

The bad news is still better than paying out of pocket. Sucks it will take that long though.

Update : About a week ago the fix was approved . I am not paying anything for the fix.
Bad news : I should have the car back by "end of the month"
I’ve been waiting over 2 months for my car to be fixed. Ridiculous.

Just to close this out , I got the Explorer back last week ( Thursday ) . The dealer had the car a total of 7 weeks .

I did have to top off the expansion tank with a bit of coolant. The next morning , fairly normal after doing work on a pressurized system.
Drove the car about 1000 miles in a week . Northern VA to Charlottesville and back , and NOVA to Pittsburgh and back . No issues .

Total charges for the repair was $1800 , I had a $100 deductible , the rest was fully covered.

The funny thing was the initial estimate they gave me was $4400 , lol .

7 weeks? They must really take their time. Also not shocking that Ford warranty pays out less than what the shop quoted. It's labor intensive but 4k? That's just silly

7 weeks? They must really take their time. Also not shocking that Ford warranty pays out less than what the shop quoted. It's labor intensive but 4k? That's just silly

3rd party warranty , and about 3-4 weeks of that was waiting for approval for the repair.

Last Friday I changed out the water pump in a 1992 BMW 525 Touring during my lunch break ( Friday lunch 2 hours ) , I have also done a ton of e36 BMW water pumps , same engine as a 525 . Now the pump went in the Explorer .... Jeez this is a job !!

My dealer offers a "lifetime" "powertrain" warranty and says they don't cover this , double fudge !

Trying to get the exact text of the warranty now.
Had to have mine replaced as it was leaking. It F'd up my Tranny, which then also had to be replaced. The explorer(2015 Sport) was gone for 2 MONTHS! Thankfully it was all covered under my ESP, including a rental car. I actually made a bit of a stink and got $10k out of it. The design and orientation of the water pump is a mess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The funny thing was the initial estimate they gave me was $4400 , lol .
Car dealerships didn't earn the nick name "Stealerships" for no reason.

Back