2015 Sport & Side mirrors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport & Side mirrors

pnicefor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Chevy Tahoe
Question for those who have a 2015 Sport with 401A package. Are the side mirrors power fold or manual fold. On the ford site it states "PowerFold® exterior side mirrors with the 401A pkg" However, the dealer stated that it is only available on the Limited version..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have that setup (Sport + 401a) and they are power fold! On the driver's door there are buttons around the mirror adjustment 4 way, one of them is power fold. They are not automatic but there's a thread on here where someone added a controller so they are automatic.

It wasn't something I was looking for, but it's a nice little feature in a tight parking garage!

I'm in Canada, and the offerings are different here, but I have the same setup as JE, in case you are Canadian too.

I consider it nice to have, but a frilly extra, a failed attempt to emulate a more upscale vehicle, when something practical or essential, such as auto wipers, or rear camera washer, would have been more appropriate to the trim level of the vehicle. Once the essentials are met, THEN the frilly extras might be called for, NOT before, Mr. Ford.

I'm in Canada, and the offerings are different here, but I have the same setup as JE, in case you are Canadian too.

I consider it nice to have, but a frilly extra, a failed attempt to emulate a more upscale vehicle, when something practical or essential, such as auto wipers, or rear camera washer, would have been more appropriate to the trim level of the vehicle. Once the essentials are met, THEN the frilly extras might be called for, NOT before, Mr. Ford.

Not that it is going to help you but those things you mentioned are all on the 2016, mirrors even can be set to auto fold

In the 3 years I had my 2011 Limited, I only used the power fold option 3 times. All were in a parking lot with very narrow spaces.

Peter

It's a nice feature to have them fold (even entry-level vehicles have this feature now), and reduces the potential for damage, particularly against vertical posts and garage door jambs, they just fold back or forward instead of breaking off or damaging the door frame (expensive to repair). I occasionally fold them back, but it's easy to do by hand.

It's the power part that is not appropriate for this vehicle, when it is being done to give the appearance of a higher end vehicle, at the expense of other more practical features.

Some features are easier to add than others. Maybe other things should have been a higher priority (the backup camera washer would be awesome, I admit) but it's not always that straightforward. It could be a case where Ford could add this feature for minimal cost because a supplier makes a mirror component that includes this, where other features might involve more engineering and therefore complexity and cost.

There are lots of variables, most invisible to us, that play into the design, manufacture and packaging of any product.

Some features are easier to add than others. Maybe other things should have been a higher priority (the backup camera washer would be awesome, I admit) but it's not always that straightforward. It could be a case where Ford could add this feature for minimal cost because a supplier makes a mirror component that includes this, where other features might involve more engineering and therefore complexity and cost.

There are lots of variables, most invisible to us, that play into the design, manufacture and packaging of any product.

Precisely! There is already a wire harness going there for puddle lights and turn signals, it already pivots, so wires and a motor more.

Back