2016 Ex Passenger Door Unlocking and Alarming with No Keyfob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ex Passenger Door Unlocking and Alarming with No Keyfob

SMorgan1228

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
Every night my husband goes outside to check our doors on our cars as people like to steal stuff in unlocked cars. About a month ago when he went to check my 2016 Explorer XLT passenger handle like normal, it unlocked and set off the panic alarm. It has been doing this ever since. We had a friend who used to be a Ford Master Tech look at it (him and my husband used to work at Ford together) and it worked perfectly and did not alarm when he grabbed the handle. When my husband checks the cars he does not bring the keys out to the car with him so there should be no reason why it would open. Please help!! I am well out of my warranty and going to the dealer would mean lots of $$.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have an answer for this issue? My 2013 Limited had the same issue. I've found a few people with the same problem but no answers yet.

Does anyone have an answer for this issue? My 2013 Limited had the same issue. I've found a few people with the same problem but no answers yet.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately there has not been any feedback from the thread originator as to whether it has been fixed. If you have push button start have you tried to see if you can also start the vehicle as well as unlocking the door?

Peter

Every night my husband goes outside to check our doors on our cars as people like to steal stuff in unlocked cars. About a month ago when he went to check my 2016 Explorer XLT passenger handle like normal, it unlocked and set off the panic alarm. It has been doing this ever since. We had a friend who used to be a Ford Master Tech look at it (him and my husband used to work at Ford together) and it worked perfectly and did not alarm when he grabbed the handle. When my husband checks the cars he does not bring the keys out to the car with him so there should be no reason why it would open. Please help!! I am well out of my warranty and going to the dealer would mean lots of $$.
Do you have any update?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately there has not been any feedback from the thread originator as to whether it has been fixed. If you have push button start have you tried to see if you can also start the vehicle as well as unlocking the door?

Peter
I haven't tried to start it. It's only the passenger door that opens and the horn starts blasting so I turn it off immediately. Maybe I'll try to start it next.

I haven't tried to start it. It's only the passenger door that opens and the horn starts blasting so I turn it off immediately. Maybe I'll try to start it next.
Is it possible that the passenger door lock is defective and never actually locked?

Peter

Is it possible that the passenger door lock is defective and never actually locked?

Peter
It's locked. When you put your hand on the handle it unlocks just as if you have the fob on you only the alarm goes off.

.............................................. only the alarm goes off.
Well at least you know that part of the system works. No answer for the door issue at this time.

Peter

Back