2016 explorer 2.3L dealer install "factory" tow package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 explorer 2.3L dealer install "factory" tow package

In August 2015 I purchased a 2016 explorer Limited 2.3l eco boost FWD without a tow package because it had 2nd row bucket seats. It has an axle ratio of 3.36. The dealer assured me they could install a tow package that was "no different" than the factory I told them I was purchasing a travel trailer that was around 3000 lbs , (actual unloaded weight 2575) he assured me this vehicle was adequate to tow the trailer with the tow package they would install. He stated it could tow 5000 lbs as ford rates the tow capabilities much lower than it can "actually" tow I know right? Well after waiting for the parts on back order the hitch finally arrived I met with the sales manager to insure all the components were included identical to the factory he found out there needed to be a "transmission cooler" , so we had to wait again for it. When that arrived they installed the hitch but we're unable to install "engine oil cooler " I don't know exactly what the part actually was. I met with the general manager and he assured me my explorer had the same axle but looks to me like the tow package model 2.3 limited have 3.51 axle ratio. He said they were contacting ford technicians for answers. I have been searching the Internet and this forum with no success. Sorry the post is so long but I thought it important to include the details.

So my question is can this even be done? Can they install the tow package that is no different than the factory after the fact and is there any components that cannot be installed I also want to make sure there is a tow/haul button and the axle and transmission are no different as well as 7pin connector , because "NO difference" means no difference I also believe they are installing a class III and I think the 2.3 can only tow class II. Thanks for listening , any input would be appreciated

Dealers will "assure" you of anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. I wish you the best.

I recommend you research the Ford Towing Guide.
It's interesting that the 2016 guide does not list the 2.3L as available for the Explorer. they show the 2.0L EB as an option, with the same 300o lbs limit, and the 2 axle ratios you mentioned.

I would not recommend anyone use the I4 Ecoboost Explorers for towing a full-height trailer. It's too much of a brick to be pulling thru the wind. Even if you keep the weight at 3000 lbs as rated, the wind resistance is killer. Ford agrees, as they have a "Frontal Area Limit" (page 13) of 30 sq-ft. That's a high-wall popup camper, or a tall/narrow utility trailer. Explorers with no towing package only get 20 sq-ft (standard height popup). V6 and V6-EB models with Class III package get 40 sq-ft (barely adequate for a full height trailer).

I recommend you use the dealer's "assurance" of adequacy as a means of trading in your I4 Explorer for something with a V6 and Class 3 towing package.

Back