2016 Explorer engine options ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer engine options ?

Just picked up our 2016 Limited with the 2.3L.

We traded in a 2006 with a V8, and I was nervous going to a 4 cylinder, but I'm extremely happy how this new Explorer performs.

Drove it 7 hrs straight this weekend, and I'm convinced getting the smaller engine was the right call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None of the engine options will give you the MPG/power you'll get from a TDI or Bluetec. Mid 20s will be the limit, compared to 30s with the diesels.

curious what do you actually get out of your touareg TDI - and what's that trip costs once you pay for the more expensive diesel?

granted around here - diesel does cost the same as 93 premium currently but often it's 20 cents more per gallon and it used to be much worse.

just saying 28 rated mpg is pretty good, and I already beat the 24 rating on my base 3.5 TIVCT engined explorer. (got 25.3 this weekend on the highway with a over all trip of 24.6)

curious what do you actually get out of your touareg TDI - and what's that trip costs once you pay for the more expensive diesel?
32 MPG consistently at 70-75 MPH interstate driving. Frankly, I don't consider, or track costs. I like the power, fit and finish, and driving feel of a German diesel SUV. 26 gal tank, 7700 tow capacity, 425 lbs of torque, 8 spd trans.

Diesel in some areas is slightly cheaper than gas, even 87.

Don't think I'll ever go back to gas for my vehicles. Wife loves the Explorer, but she doesn't care about the above.

just saying 28 rated mpg is pretty good
Strongly doubting 28 with the 4. Ford said the 2.0 would get 28, too. Just saying.....

Strongly doubting 28 with the 4. Ford said the 2.0 would get 28, too. Just saying.....

I guess multi-quote doesn't work

on the first bit - I looked a a used toureg and I just couldn't get over the fear of VW issues. I know most show as very reliable and solid - but then so did Jetta and Passats.

anywho - I do wish the Explorer had another gear or 2 while on the road - or that the gears 2-6 were spaced a bit further apart. either way really.

as far as the 2.0 it was way to weak for that, and it showed easily especially after driving them back to back with a 2016 2.3 ecoboost.

on the 2016 they are almost transparent from the 3.5 V6. the 2.3 is much stronger in torque deliver at the bottom - and I suspect with the gearing even it probably does that highway number.

Back