2016 Explorer Hands Free Liftgate Not Working After Factory Hitch install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Hands Free Liftgate Not Working After Factory Hitch install

Palmz43

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi,

We recently purchased a used 2016 ford explorer without the tow package. The dealership added a factory hitch and now the hands free liftgate is not working. The dealership said that the reason it is not working is because the sensors are now covered by the factory hitch. I was looking under the car and it looks like the lower sensor is there but the upper is covered. Has anyone else installed the factory hitch and reenabled the hands free liftgate function? Perhaps we need a different sensor or some other parts? Hoping for some suggestions as it's a feature that we actually use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers with the factory installed tow package have the sensors mounted to the sides of the hitch. I don't recall a similar issue being discussed here before. Keep in mind the tow rating will be 2000 lbs.

Peter

that was what i was curious about. Wondering if we need the factory hitch sensor to get it working again. When i search Ford parts i can't find a different sensor part number (Sensor Assy | FordUS)

No issue on the tow rating. We are only towing a jet ski. Did it in our old 2013 XLT with no issues for years.

that was what i was curious about. Wondering if we need the factory hitch sensor to get it working again. When i search Ford parts i can't find a different sensor part number (Sensor Assy | FordUS)

No issue on the tow rating. We are only towing a jet ski. Did it in our old 2013 XLT with no issues for years.
I don't know if it's a different sensor or just a different mounting location. My thoughts would be the latter.

Peter

I believe it is just a different location. Did the dealer not mention this ahead of time? I remember seeing when looking online at the ford accessories that the hitch details/description mentioned the liftgate issue.

I think my issue might be related to another issue as I just made another thread regarding the liftgate button. I looked at my parents platinum and the sensors are all in the same location.

I have found with my lift gate that the kick to open will work when it wants to. I get it to open one time and then do the exact same kick and it won't open.

Now when I crawl under the back of it it is popping open with just a slight movement.

I have found with my lift gate that the kick to open will work when it wants to. I get it to open one time and then do the exact same kick and it won't open.

Now when I crawl under the back of it it is popping open with just a slight movement.
It takes some getting used to. I found on mine it just takes a little shallow kick rather than a longer deeper one, if that makes any sense.:)

Peter

Explorers with the factory installed tow package have the sensors mounted to the sides of the hitch. I don't recall a similar issue being discussed here before. Keep in mind the tow rating will be 2000 lbs.

Peter
Did anyone ever figure this out? I want to add a factory hitch as well but it shows on the ford website the module has to be replaced?
"
Module Replacement Required if vehicle is equipped with Hands-Free Foot Activated Liftgate.

See your dealer or Owners Guide for details

From the Ford Accessories page

Did anyone ever figure this out? I want to add a factory hitch as well but it shows on the ford website the module has to be replaced?
"
Module Replacement Required if vehicle is equipped with Hands-Free Foot Activated Liftgate.

See your dealer or Owners Guide for details

From the Ford Accessories page
If you check page 66 of the Owner's Manual (3rd print) you will see why. The sensor is located in the center under the bumper. I believe that for those that have the factory installed hitch, there are 2 sensors one on each side of the hitch.

Peter

If you check page 66 of the Owner's Manual (3rd print) you will see why. The sensor is located in the center under the bumper. I believe that for those that have the factory installed hitch, there are 2 sensors one on each side of the hitch.

Peter
ok thank you. I have to replace mine anyway because there are times when I walk by closely it opens automatically anyway and apparently this was a common problem but I see there are two different part numbers one with hitch and one without. I would assume I need the one with since i'm upgrading anyway and I see another part called a "liftgate restoration kit" when a factory hitch is added. Gotta keep adding to the costs

I believe there was a TSB about adjusting the sensitivity of the sensor. Good luck and keep us updated.

Peter

Back