2016 Explorer Interceptor engine video...Opinions on the noise, please? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Interceptor engine video...Opinions on the noise, please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Years ago I had a ranger that had a noise that sounded exactly like the valves where about to drop out. Thinking I was about to do a rebuild any way I drove it like I stole it, a week later it was still running like a champ. After many people searching for this noise it was a mystery. Eventually while doing a oil change I notice the heat shield for the cat looked off center, I tapped it and lo n behold it was the noise! Ripped the heat shield out and the noise was gone. Mind you we had stethoscopes ect everything you could think of and it sounded like it was coming the valve covers without a doubt. All I'm saying it dig around and don't dismiss anything, noise travels and there are hermonic vibrations, just feel all over and see what you find! Hope this helps¡!

something i forgot to mention regarding of removing the injectors, don't try to do this while the engine is running: unplug, start, check, shutdown, plug, next one, hope this help.

All I hear in your video is injectors.
That is what one mechanic I visited this morning...He did not think anything was amiss....he said many modern engines are making this kind of sound nowadays...I wanted to add some BD fluid to quiet it down.

That is what one mechanic I visited this morning...He did not think anything was amiss....he said many modern engines are making this kind of sound nowadays...I wanted to add some BD fluid to quiet it down.
Yeah it's hard to tell from a video anyway. Definitely nothing too obvious going bad. If the noise is from the injectors, there is definitely at least one that is distinctly louder than the rest. You could listen to each injector with a stethoscope or screwdriver and see if you can identify the one that is making noise.
I say run it hard till it quits!

I did get a stethoscope...I hear noise wherever I touch with that thing...I honestly might get a water pump, timing chain and ancillary gear and have it all changed...i need 100% confidence in the truck.

Anyone use this kit?
CLOYES 90738SBWP

Features & Benefits:
  • Designed for the replacement of worn or damaged timing chains, tensioners, sprockets, guides, and water pumps, Cloyes timing chain water pump kits provide professional technicians and do-it-yourselfers with a complete repair solution.
  • Tested in a full operational RPM range with eight different test parameters, including torque, flow, outlet pressure, temperature, inlet pressure, axis power, efficiency, and lift.
  • Timing chain-driven water pumps should always be replaced at the same time as the timing chain to preserve long-term system performance.
  • Cloyes parts are CAD designed and manufactured using premium materials. Each part is extensively tested and measured for function, fitment, and durability to ensure optimal performance.

I’d go factory Ford with the timing components.

The 4.0s seem to do best with the factory components. That might not be the case with your motor, however.

Someone with a motor specific recommendation will probably happen along.

It is hard to tell from the video. I can hear injectors and the high pressure direct injection fuel pump. Do you hear any noise on cold start that goes quiet after a few seconds? Or any off throttle rattle?

It is hard to tell from the video. I can hear injectors and the high pressure direct injection fuel pump. Do you hear any noise on cold start that goes quiet after a few seconds? Or any off throttle rattle?
None of those. No strange sounds beside that.

I would not go throwing parts at this car because of this minor noise. That is just begging to create an actual problem.

Maybe it was the switch to synthetic oil? I do t know which oil they used before.

Im a but late here but on my 06 4.0 i went cloyes and it has almost 100k on the kit and has not skipped a beat. If you can afford motorcraft though yea go with it but cloyes has been around since the 60s so there not some young company or anything.

Back