2016 Explorer Platinum Battery Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Platinum Battery Issues

.....I called the Ford Emergency line and arranged for a tow truck to come tomorrow morning to take the car to the Dealer to be inspected. I had just picked up the car from this same Dealer 4 days ago and had driven it about 100 miles since then, that should have been enough to keep the battery charged.
I think the issue goes deeper than a 'low battery' condition. I think a new battery is in order.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same at me...many sync problems...now after 30kmiles has my battery about 11.98 Volts...next week comes an Exide Excell in...hope that will solve most of problems I have...

I think the issue goes deeper than a 'low battery' condition. I think a new battery is in order.

Peter

Yeah, sounds like something is draining the battery.

Doesn't sound like a drain issue so much as a bad cell or multiples. Especially if it couldn't start with a jump.

Doesn't sound like a drain issue so much as a bad cell or multiples. Especially if it couldn't start with a jump.
No starting issues until this event but it has sat in the Dealer's shop a lot lately, maybe some wire is shorted out from all the warranty repairs (?). Last week they removed the headliner for the roof rail replacement, took the door panel off to fix the passenger window and repaired the power-fold mirrors. Two weeks ago was the entire engine fuel system repair, etc.
I hope the tow truck guy can get some juice in it because it is in the garage and without 12v power the shift selector is stuck in Park. Otherwise we will be doing the dead battery shift lever Park release procedure to back it out of the garage. :help:
The Dealer is notified the car is being delivered tomorrow morning and maybe this will be as simple as putting in a new battery and checking the system for a 12v drain. Fingers X'ed....

you've had that many warranty repairs on your EX? wow.

couple things I learned when getting my battery replaced.

1) the car monitors battery performance and will adjust it's load accordingly when needed.
2) if the car senses the battery has been disconnected and suddenly reconnected it might unlatch main draw from the battery to protect the car and a possible issue. This included removing the ability to start the car. There is a reset process.
3)replacing the battery in the car - triggers the car to relearn the battery condition. This can be done easy with a scanner - which is what dealers are told to do - or it can be done with 3 consecutive sample events.
4) any time the car is OFF- and the key is away from the car - after 2 hours the car samples the battery until the next start to gage it's draw and charge capacity. One of these cycles is a sample event.
5) you should take the key out of the car and some place away from the car when you can so it can do this sample activity - otherwise the parasitic draw on the battery stays higher - in "ready" mode. This is part of the reason my battery barely lasted 18 months. Wifey leaves her key in the car.

you've had that many warranty repairs on your EX? wow.
couple things I learned when getting my battery replaced.
1) the car monitors battery performance and will adjust it's load accordingly when needed.
2) if the car senses the battery has been disconnected and suddenly reconnected it might unlatch main draw from the battery to protect the car and a possible issue. This included removing the ability to start the car. There is a reset process.
3)replacing the battery in the car - triggers the car to relearn the battery condition. This can be done easy with a scanner - which is what dealers are told to do - or it can be done with 3 consecutive sample events.
4) any time the car is OFF- and the key is away from the car - after 2 hours the car samples the battery until the next start to gage it's draw and charge capacity. One of these cycles is a sample event.
5) you should take the key out of the car and some place away from the car when you can so it can do this sample activity - otherwise the parasitic draw on the battery stays higher - in "ready" mode. This is part of the reason my battery barely lasted 18 months. Wifey leaves her key in the car.
Heck, I left some older stuff out from last year. The Dealer's SA that I used to have got promoted, now I'm breaking in a new one... LOL!
Thanks for the good info too, my key is left far enough away so the car doesn't sense it while parked in the garage.

The ExPlat's dead battery had 2 bad cells and the Dealer installed a new battery under warranty. They did a reset and diagnostic test that checked for 12v parasitic draw in case something was shorted, the computer showed everything as optimal.
BTW, the tow truck drivers battery power pack he used to jump start the car in my garage almost shorted out. He tried again and the car started so he was able to drive it onto the tow truck flatbed. The driver said 'I don't know, but I think that battery is shot' - he was right.

All in all, the tow truck to pick the car up from my garage, new battery installed and tested, shuttle picked me up and delivered me to the Dealer and and I was home in 4 hours all together. My Dealer is trying hard and I appreciate it.
-----
I noticed that the new BXT-65-650 battery does NOT have a green Eye to check for battery condition, now the Dealer Tech's actually have to use the battery checker gadget and write in the observed battery condition, probably a good thing.

IMG_1186_zps6lamfc5d.jpg

I hope the tow truck guy can get some juice in it because it is in the garage and without 12v power the shift selector is stuck in Park. Otherwise we will be doing the dead battery shift lever Park release procedure to back it out of the garage. :help:

Should be a mechanical override on the shifter, if somewhat awkward to access, should the battery be entirely dead.

Back