2016 explorer purge valve missing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 explorer purge valve missing?

Michael1771

Reaction score
City, State
Marysville WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all,

Trying to replace the purge valve on my 2016 explorer, and I don't want to pay the dealership over $500 to do it. It has a 3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine. Videos make it look really easy, but where they show the part to be.....I don't see in my engine. Any ideas what's going on? I bought a duralast replacement (PV637) but am at a loss. Photos of where it should be are below...thanks for any assistance.

purge valve 1.jpg
purge valve 2.jpg

Ain't it this bit? Looks like what I saw in another video

PicsArt_07-24-10.04.04.jpg

It's not "missing", it's moved from where you've been looking. If the videos are of a 2015 or older or of a non-EcoBoost engine, they don't apply. The purge valve and its location changed for the 2016 model EBs.

Here is the illustration from the 2016 FSM for the 3.5 EB, beauty cover removed. That's the RH (rearmost) valve cover at the top of the illustration so you'll have to really stretch to see the location. Look in the valley between the intake and the RH valve cover.

It's not "missing", it's moved from where you've been looking. If the videos are of a 2015 or older or of a non-EcoBoost engine, they don't apply. The purge valve and its location changed for the 2016 model EBs.

Here is the illustration from the 2016 FSM for the 3.5 EB, beauty cover removed. That's the RH (rearmost) valve cover at the top of the illustration so you'll have to really stretch to see the location. Look in the valley between the intake and the RH valve cover.

Yeah, I noticed that while hunting for the part I thought I needed. Thanks for the heads up on this, and for all the responses. Looks like its not too difficult to swap out.

Back