2016 Ford Explorer Blend (I think) Actuator Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Blend (I think) Actuator Issues

PProph

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, SK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD
Hey everybody, new to the forum. I have more experience on Chevys over the years so this is my first Ford forum, please be kind :D

Back in early summer or late spring I replaced two actuators in my FIL's 2016 Explorer Limited. First did the one behind the glovebox that I believe handles temperature? Then did the one on the driver's side that I believe is the directional guy that decides which way to blow the air. Now, both seem to be working, we get air at the temperature we want and where we want. However, probably a month or so after the replacement, the one behind the glovebox sounds like it just wants to turn and turn and turn and never stop like the gatdang energizer bunny. It somehow really doesn't seem to be affecting functionality (I don't know how), but it's absolutely grating on the nerves hearing this thing creak its doors non-stop for 45 minutes (or however long the trip is).

I'm not sure what brand the replacement actuator was, I'd have to find out from the FIL. Short of trying another replacement, I've read varying suggestions that you can calibrate these things (How To Reset The Ford Blend Door Actuator) by pulling the HVAC fuse and turning the vehicle on into standby for a few minutes. I'm willing to try such a thing before I order another one of these actuators and go through the .... frustrating process of replacing it again. Does anyone know which fuse would be the "HVAC fuse" on this model? I couldn't get a clear idea of which to pull. The fuses related to AC seem to specifically be tied to the compressor, I feel like that's not the right fuse.

Any other ideas would be helpful, appreciate any advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like it stripped the gear.

Like the gear in the actuator or the gear on the doors themselves? One of those I feel like is a significantly larger job :oops:

I just wanted to return here to close the loop on this issue. It was in fact a busted gear in the actuator. I didn't lose any pieces when I opened it up either so I'm wondering if it was bad right out of the cheap factory and just took a month to start slipping. In any case, we put the OEM part in and so far so good. Thanks for the replies!

I just got the vent mode acturator replaced this past weekend. For the difficulty of the job, it really isn't worth it to risk with aftermarket parts. Plus I got the Motorcraft part from Amazon for only $24.

Back