2016 Limited Wet Rear Passenger Floor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited Wet Rear Passenger Floor

Craigster1985

Reaction score
City, State
Hudsonville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer limited
Long story short…

Wet rear floor in 2016 Limited. Moon roof drains checked. I pulled the carpet to clean out barf from my 4 year old. After this while carpet is drying I noticed a large puddle forming. I sucked it dry at the carwash vacuum and took it back through the wash. This is the result.

Also I found this random plug looking thing under the front passenger seat when checking this out.

Please help me🤯

BFA2BD29-B393-4EF6-9AF1-3998D1EC4854.jpeg

22E11072-E48D-4E4B-957F-7CEED0E11ADE.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long story short…

Wet rear floor in 2016 Limited. Moon roof drains checked. I pulled the carpet to clean out barf from my 4 year old. After this while carpet is drying I noticed a large puddle forming. I sucked it dry at the carwash vacuum and took it back through the wash. This is the result.

Also I found this random plug looking thing under the front passenger seat when checking this out.

Please help me🤯

View attachment 342781

View attachment 342782
Also it seems to be slowly forming. No gush to speak of. No signs of wet leaking down from pillar area.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you have a moonroof, water in the front or second-row footwells is usually a sign of a blocker moonroof drain.
The plug could be for an option you may not have. No idea what that is in the 2nd picture.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you have a moonroof, water in the front or second-row footwells is usually a sign of a blocker moonroof drain.
The plug could be for an option you may not have. No idea what that is in the 2nd picture.

Peter
Thank you Peter! I flushed all drains for moon roof last night. All are working as fast as those small holes can be asked to imho. The plug ended up being for the “oh ****” handle in middle row.

Update. Cleaned and chased all drains with wire and they are working. Reinstalled the rear glass panel after cleaning the seal that was dirty. I then closed the moon roof and soaked the entire car with the hose and only got a few teaspoons of water this morning setting in the floor area.

Dried it up. Took it through the carwash and again after setting for a few hours I have a couple teaspoons of water.

Could it be everything that was submerged for a few days seeping? It seems as if that caulk looking crap is holding some water.

Im about to reinstall the carpet and seats and slap a forsale sign on this turd🤣🤣

Thank you Peter! I flushed all drains for moon roof last night. All are working as fast as those small holes can be asked to imho. The plug ended up being for the “oh ****” handle in middle row.

Update. Cleaned and chased all drains with wire and they are working. Reinstalled the rear glass panel after cleaning the seal that was dirty. I then closed the moon roof and soaked the entire car with the hose and only got a few teaspoons of water this morning setting in the floor area.

Dried it up. Took it through the carwash and again after setting for a few hours I have a couple teaspoons of water.

Could it be everything that was submerged for a few days seeping? It seems as if that caulk looking crap is holding some water.

Im about to reinstall the carpet and seats and slap a forsale sign on this turd🤣🤣
They each drain a 12oz glass of water in under 45 seconds for clarification.

I'm not sure where any residual water would be coming from but it might be that. Perhaps one way of finding out if it is dripping from the moonroof would be to lay a piece of cardboard over that footwell to see if there is any water dripping on top of it, You could use a hose to let water run over the moonroof. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest other than don't sell it when it's raining. ;)

Peter

Unclip the big quarter panel near the rear door and there should be a hose coming from the roof that SHOULD br connected to another hose that drains through the floor. I bet that hose may be disconnected and its just draining onto your floor and not making it to the secondary hose.

I just fixed my rear cargo leak by spreading JB weld all over the factory welds and seams where the hatch attaches to the roof. It was all spider cracked...

Unclip the big quarter panel near the rear door and there should be a hose coming from the roof that SHOULD br connected to another hose that drains through the floor. I bet that hose may be disconnected and its just draining onto your floor and not making it to the secondary hose.

I just fixed my rear cargo leak by spreading JB weld all over the factory welds and seams where the hatch attaches to the roof. It was all spider cracked...
Update:

Assuming it was the drains around the moon roof. Since cleaning a second time (flushing with 6/8 glasses of water each, no more leak. Thanks all for the help!

Back