2016 new car highway speed buzz | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 new car highway speed buzz

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
So I'm new here due to yesterday's purchase of a 2016 xlt explorer. We thought it would be great but that a long story.

Drive home first time the car (it had one 31 miles) got over 73. Buzzzzzzzzzzz rarwww_w. Buzzzzzzzz

Comes from up on pax side by the windshield. It's as if there is supposed to be some foam or rubber or something between 2 plastic pieces.

Otherwise the car is fine. Not sure i like the tires. But I bought it because of how much better it drove over the acadia\enclave. And wifey just threw a hissy fit on trying a flex or minivan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it your passenger side wiper blade by chance? Mine does this occasionally.

Thought about that - picked it up - wiggled it a bit etc.

according to the shop - and I have to give them credit - they checked both the interior trip piece and the exterior one without additional prompting.

turns out they believe the outside trim panel - at the bottom of the windshield - had a broken bracket piece - they ordered new parts but taped ours currently.

Wifey says - noise reduced significantly.

Yeah there is a known issue with cowls on these vehicles.

So I'm new here due to yesterday's purchase of a 2016 xlt explorer. We thought it would be great but that a long story.

Drive home first time the car (it had one 31 miles) got over 73. Buzzzzzzzzzzz rarwww_w. Buzzzzzzzz

Comes from up on pax side by the windshield. It's as if there is supposed to be some foam or rubber or something between 2 plastic pieces.

Otherwise the car is fine. Not sure i like the tires. But I bought it because of how much better it drove over the acadia\enclave. And wifey just threw a hissy fit on trying a flex or minivan
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I would suspect it is the cowl. That is the piece that runs along the lower edge of the windshield. Check out page 1 of the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411044&highlight=cowl

Peter

Yeah there is a known issue with cowls on these vehicles.

This is a known problem for MANY years; not limited to the Explorer. I had the same on my 2010 Expedition, which I had to solve with my own foam invention!!.

How on earth can Ford allow this to happen on the Explorer 2016 refresh?

This is a known problem for MANY years; not limited to the Explorer. I had the same on my 2010 Expedition, which I had to solve with my own foam invention!!.

How on earth can Ford allow this to happen on the Explorer 2016 refresh?

Very easily, the dealer said a piece was BROKEN.. most likely it broke during install.. this does not mean it is a design issue. This has been resolved for a few years now.

Very easily, the dealer said a piece was BROKEN.. most likely it broke during install.. this does not mean it is a design issue. This has been resolved for a few years now.

Mine was fixed also but the problem seems to be coming back after a year or so. I guess at least it lasted a while..

By the way, congrats on your new ride NAPALM! Just curious, does your 2016 exhibit that old nasty gas or burnt oil smell like our EX does?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Nasty gas smell? Not exactly. But being so new it does get that solvent,plastic curing,sealant baking smell. Its geting better though.

Cowl issues. Didn't read anything about that earlier before we bought. My neighbors 15 does have issues.

Thanks for the link. Will read

Same with ours, took it in and was told the cowl had warped (we live in FL) they ordered a new one and installed it no questions asked. No problems since.

seems they replaced both sides and whatever is underneath.

all clean and so far all quiet.

oh and first 1000 miles and first oil change. hopefully I'll still be happy with in come 2020.

on a brand new car - absolutely.

arbitrary number of sorts - yes

new new car - bought with only 41 miles when we signed the paper. so it's not even tried to be broken in. had a week of use - and road trip.

1095 miles to be exact - new oil and oil filter. why get any early metal chips, and other break in dirt out of the path as early as possible.

next oil change - probably 5K or so - then OLM after that.

My 2015 sport had the issue, dealer replace windshield cowl, problem fixed.

Back