• Register Today It's free!

2016 radiator flush question

tnors

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 limited
I drained radiator, vacuumed reservoir. Added prestone cleaner with water. Drove 2 hours-ish. Drained cleaner (it was quite dirty). Flushed radiator out with water until water was clear. Drained/vacuumed again. Started adding concentrate but was only able to add 1 gallon. From what I've read, I should have been able to add 1.5 gallons along with .5 gallons of water for 3 total (including the water that was left in the engine from the flush). Any thoughts on why I couldn't add the rest of the mixture? According to the procedures I've read, I'm not a little off. I'm way off. An entire gallon.

Having said that, I have now driven for about a week and have watched the temps/reservoir closely and no change. I'm just concerned the mixture is off. If there were actually 2 gallons of water in the system after the flush, then the mixture is ~66% water instead of 50% water.

You can always test it or have it tested with an antifreeze hydrometer to check on the level of antifreeze.

Peter

I drained radiator, vacuumed reservoir. Added prestone cleaner with water. Drove 2 hours-ish. Drained cleaner (it was quite dirty). Flushed radiator out with water until water was clear. Drained/vacuumed again. Started adding concentrate but was only able to add 1 gallon. From what I've read, I should have been able to add 1.5 gallons along with .5 gallons of water for 3 total (including the water that was left in the engine from the flush). Any thoughts on why I couldn't add the rest of the mixture? According to the procedures I've read, I'm not a little off. I'm way off. An entire gallon.

Having said that, I have now driven for about a week and have watched the temps/reservoir closely and no change. I'm just concerned the mixture is off. If there were actually 2 gallons of water in the system after the flush, then the mixture is ~66% water instead of 50% water.
I was only ever able to get about a gallon out or just a little more. So I flushed until clear with distilled water. Then added only concentrate after the last drain to get to the 50/50. Same on the edge. Can get a little more out by pulling the lower radiator hose and letting it drain from there.

Back