2017 - Center Floor Console - Factory Ambient Lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 - Center Floor Console - Factory Ambient Lighting

DDubz

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU/Explorer
2017 FPIU - Adding a 2017 Explorer base model center floor console. The wrecker had cut all the wiring, so I replaced all of the 12V ports with new ones and removed the remaining wiring. My question pertains to the ambient lighting for the cup holders.
The current wiring Plug does not match any of the wiring harnesses. I would like to keep this as there is only roof bin lighting, and it gets pretty dark when driving at night. I am also looking to potentially add after-market ambient lighting for the floor, but that's another project.

I have searched the forums and the web trying to find out what/how to wire these lights. The wires are very small gauge, and I don't think they are straight 12V.
Can anyone shed some light on this? or should I just look for an after-market kit to add-in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if the Base trim actually had ambient lighting. It may be easier to start from scratch.

Peter

Here is an image of the plug and wiring up to the ambient cup holder lighting.
The green connector at the bottom is what I am trying to connect. I just don't think it should be connected to 12V, as the wire is about 26 gauge

apCHVLQaVg3jHnYbDYv_XWgJh=w1619-h854-no?authuser=0.jpg

Your body harness will be different and not compatible I assume. The ambient lighting is part of the entertainment package I believe and is controlled using the touch screen FYI. The aftermarket kit Peter posted should work on any explorer regardless of options.

Thank you both for your assistance. I had looked at another post where Peter had provided the same link.
Does anyone happen to know what kind of power requirements would have been?
As I have had to re-wire most of my vehicle's interior, I am interested in knowing what voltage and amperage these would typically be. All of the other wirings had been removed and cut and they were even nice enough to tape "some" of the live wires under the dash.

This post may help

Back