2017 Explorer -another roof load question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer -another roof load question

Jeff SC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
just got a 2017 Explorer Limited with moon roof....I saw previous threads about the low load limit for,the roof rack over moon roof...(45 pounds or so). Happily, I just bought a 9.5 Perception kayak that weighs 47 pounds so I risked the overload and carried it around.

But I'm curious about the "thumb wheel" screws...the manual recommends removing the crossbars when not in use to reduce wind noise etc. I presume the thumb wheel screws are used in lieu of the cross bars...as in when you want to secure a light load directly onto the roof. Is that correct? Can you put a load right onto the glass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thumb screws used to secure light loads and yes I wouldn't hesitate putting something on the glass as long as it is soft. During a heavy snowfall you can have a significant snow load on the roof and glass.

just got a 2017 Explorer Limited with moon roof....I saw previous threads about the low load limit for,the roof rack over moon roof...(45 pounds or so). Happily, I just bought a 9.5 Perception kayak that weighs 47 pounds so I risked the overload and carried it around.

But I'm curious about the "thumb wheel" screws...the manual recommends removing the crossbars when not in use to reduce wind noise etc. I presume the thumb wheel screws are used in lieu of the cross bars...as in when you want to secure a light load directly onto the roof. Is that correct? Can you put a load right onto the glass?
Although it doesn't spell out to not put loads directly on the glass it does so indirectly in my opinion. From the Manual;
"For correct roof rack system function, you
must place loads directly on crossbars
affixed to the roof rack side rails."

Peter

I can't argue with the manual in that regard but there is some ambiguity as the manual goes on to say' "A thumbwheel kit is included in your vehicle for tying light loads to your roof." In any event I wouldn't hesitate placing something soft (e.g. a couple of fabric patio chair cushions for a short trip across town) on the glass and tying it down using the thumb wheel screws attached to the rails. But then I've never been real good at following rules :)

This is what the Owner's Manuals prior to 2016 stated;
"Note: Loads should never be placed directly on the roof panel. The roof
panel is not designed to directly carry a load."

Peter

Crap...it snows here. ;)

We know it isn't designed for the purpose of carrying a load and as such it is a cya legal point. Practically speaking though, consider the area of the roof and the weight of, say 8" of heavy wet snow. I know how heavy a shovel full is and there would be a lot of shovel fulls on that roof.

I'm not recommending the OP carry anything there...but I personally wouldn't be too concerned as long as items are as I indicated earlier.

Back