2017 Explorer Platinum (Canadian-BC) best price? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Platinum (Canadian-BC) best price?

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hi, a stock black platinum explorer comes out to $55,908 with the Ford Employee pricing. With the options and color that I want, it goes up to $56,955 after employee pricing but before Costco discount.

Because I live in BC, there is a auto luxury tax that kicks in at $55k that quickly becomes 3% at $57k.

Long story short, a $2000 discount would actually save me $4000 because I'd only be paying 12% tax instead of 15% tax. I suppose I could give on the options and go stock which gets me closer. I discovered the Costco discount kicks in AFTER taxes are applied, and they are charging me $695 for doc fee + $25 for battery/tire levy.

I believe they should have room to move. Anyone else in BC toying with avoiding luxury tax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, a stock black platinum explorer comes out to $55,908 with the Ford Employee pricing. With the options and color that I want, it goes up to $56,955 after employee pricing but before Costco discount.

Because I live in BC, there is a auto luxury tax that kicks in at $55k that quickly becomes 3% at $57k.

Long story short, a $2000 discount would actually save me $4000 because I'd only be paying 12% tax instead of 15% tax. I suppose I could give on the options and go stock which gets me closer. I discovered the Costco discount kicks in AFTER taxes are applied, and they are charging me $695 for doc fee + $25 for battery/tire levy.

I believe they should have room to move. Anyone else in BC toying with avoiding luxury tax.

Can't help you much, as I bought in Ontario, but I was able to get the dealership to match Costco's discount for another $1000 off (on top of employee pricing).
If the dealership is playing hardball, keep in mind that all of the current discounts, are from the factory and Costco and they sure as hell can knock off more on their side.

Thanks. I'm working with another dealer now. The sales guy that took me on the test drive seems jaded and unwavering. I don't want to play the negotiation game. I straight up told the new dealer that I want to beat the luxury tax, and they are working on something for me and genuinely sound like they want to make it happen. There are definitely levers that can be played with and they already agreed to waive the doc fee.

I just bough patinum for 59 k after taxes. There are so many different prices in the market so becarefull.

So after test driving and comparing the crap out of various 7-seaters, it really came down to the 2017 Explorer or the 2017 Audi Q7. While the Volvo XC90 seemed nice on the surface and is a beautiful, lovely car, there are massive problems with that car (removing key buttons and putting everything on the touch screen, and serious reliability problems). Didn't like any other 7 seater.

I considered the Explorer a month ago in late July, but while the "cash" price was good, the interest rates were too high (at 4.4%). And I figured because it was a 2017 model, that's how they would make back their money. But in a weird twist of fate, the rates are down to 1.9% over 4 years or 2.9% over 5 years. With the same employee pricing and Costco discount, I decided to pull the trigger. And I'm getting a new car that's in holding, so I'll get it on Monday.

I really truly wanted the Audi Q7. It's a gorgeous car with all the right tech and aesthetics that appeals to me, but I just couldn't make the numbers work for me. Basically with the "minimum" options I was willing to settle for, the car was going to cost $90k CDN out the door after taxes and fees and finance it over 6 years at a 4.4% interest rate. While technically I could stretch my budget to buy it, it's just too high... They'd make another $10k profit in interest, and just didn't make sense.

At first I liked the Platinum trim the best. The exterior looks the best when you have a dark color with chrome accents. But I couldn't stand the wood trim on the steering wheel, and inlays. And while the leather is more upgraded, it just lacked something. And I loved the interior of the sport -- aluminum inlays, and accent red stitching, but I hated the blackened out exterior. But an utterly loaded Sport with +$400 smoked quartz color does look really good. I don't like the blue tinge in the web configurator, but the color in real-life looks amazing. It's a very dark gray metallic with no hint of blue or green at all. In fact it looks nearly black in direct sunlight. To me, it's the closest color to black you can get while retaining the ability to hide dirt that you get with gray cars.

The platinum has some nice things you can't get on the sport (upgraded stereo, massaging seats, lane assist, and park assist), but I don't really need or want any of those things, and while I got to experience the massaging seats, they weren't very good and it was kind of gimmicky. I would never use park assist and don't know if I would care about lane assist -- I've lived without it all these years without problems. And save a couple grand and get under the threshold for luxury tax in BC. NOTE: American's can get the upgraded stereo. Also it's still confusing, but there are different dashboards and apparently the platinum has an all-digital dashboard, while the sport has a partial digital. But it doesn't really matter because I didn't find the all digital dash to be nearly as enamoring as the Audi's virtual ****pit, so whatever.

So best price I got was the 2017 Explorer Sport. $53k + doc + taxes - $1000 Costco discount. It's got every option except bucket seats and mud flaps and the $400 paint. I got them to knock off $425 for the anti-theft labeling/etc. I said I didn't want it, so they said it already had it and they would just give that to me for free. Basically it's just a hidden cost thing they do on all the cars. I pick it up on Monday.

After running the numbers on the Audi... this car is just so much cheaper and ends up costing $30k less, and it's just the reasonable thing to do.

I do find it weird and almost suspicious that one can get such good deals on a new model year Explorer. They literally have just started arriving in dealers here over the past month. But I guess that's how they keep their volume up? 2016s are only $1000 cheaper and without Sync 3... doesn't make any sense to buy one because depreciation.

Yeah, I'm not clicking on that link!

Who is this person spamming a bunch of links in multiple threads?

Okay, I bit. Very interesting confidential info. What's the deal with the L/Holdback vs W/Holdback and what does it mean? In any case, I paid $53k for my sport and it had moon roof, adaptive cruise, roof rails, and weather mats.The L/holdback came out to $51k.

The only hard part I found when negotiating for my Explorer, even knowing the dealer invoice price, was the employee discount. I told my salesman that it was a factory incentive and I'm pretty sure his margin is still the same and he told me Ford only kicks back about $1300 to the dealer (on the XLT). When all was said and done, I had worked him down another $1000 after employee & Costco discount, but would still be interesting to know if the salesman lied about dealers having to share the cost of employee discount with Ford. There's no way they only made 300 bucks off me. Was trying to find that out before I pulled the trigger, but no luck.

Back